Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Educate a Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 06:17 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,040 Posts

The reman driveshaft should be fine forever as long as you are religious about lubrication. It will starting making noise when it needs replacing. HG makes sense, I would never get all the way to the lower intake off without doing the HG too. You will want to do some of the stuff they did not, I would not worry about the timing chain or oil pump unless there is a problem. How many miles? How religious was the service history?

Old 04-08-2020, 06:48 AM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Less than 100k miles. Still waiting on photos and documentation.

Has some minor stuff like one of the sunroofs not working, but said no leaks from anywhere. Headliner sag. So I’d pull that, got a $150 quote from a local shop for bringing them just the pan and they do the rest. And with that off I’d use the time to check out the sunroofs and seal everything well.

Front right headlight took a rock recently and works but glass is broken so (I think?) needs replacement. Missing the exterior C pillar piece in drivers side. OBD2 bracket is broken - port is fine, just that bracket it mounts to is broken.

My plan is to get the receipts for the head gasket work and call that shop since it was so recent and see if they remember the story — does it line up with that seller is saying.

Old 04-08-2020, 07:01 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
@TheBestCow Well the drive shaft you will want to replace, it could go another 30k or 200 miles there is no way to know, they are cheap enough it is good peace of mind.

As to the rest is hard to say all the items that were not done do not need replacing when head gasket go. But I find it odd someone would pay the extra to replace head gaskets that were fine, the added costs can be pretty significant. If he has the receipts I see no red flags there.
I figured that might be the case. Is the $155 one from Lucky8 considered good? Or is the $429 Tom Woods better?

Old 04-08-2020, 08:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 253 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBestCow
I figured that might be the case. Is the $155 one from Lucky8 considered good? Or is the $429 Tom Woods better?
the less expensive one from Lucky8 is really only for stock trucks with no lift.

i ran one on my '04 for about 60,000 miles before it gave up the ghost. my '04 has a two inch lift and i was fairly consistent in greasing all the zerks.

Old 04-08-2020, 03:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 439 Likes on 299 Posts

Not so happy with TW's right now. Have had two shafts and both vibrate at same speed and under gas in 4th, one way less than the other. My 10yr old TW shaft was flawless with zero vibration until the center bearing died.

I'm going with proline from rover's north for the moment. Hope to install this weekend. Might have to rebuild my old TW shaft.....

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (04-08-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 03:45 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by XRAD
Not so happy with TW's right now. Have had two shafts and both vibrate at same speed and under gas in 4th, one way less than the other. My 10yr old TW shaft was flawless with zero vibration until the center bearing died.

I'm going with proline from rover's north for the moment. Hope to install this weekend. Might have to rebuild my old TW shaft.....
Any thoughts on the GBR? Coil Sprung ? Drive Shafts | GBR Utah

Old 04-08-2020, 08:00 PM
Drifting

Drip rails... looks like the long passenger side drip rail is broken at the back corner of this vehicle. I thought for a second it was a smaller piece (#3 in the diagram below) but that looks to be more on the back door going from the top of the door and connecting to #2 long piece.

I cannot seem to find a supplier for this piece... everyone seems to stock the left hand side? Its #2 in the diagram here: https://www.roversnorth.com/category..._ii_drip_rails which looks to be on the right hand side, but the description here (and various LR dealership parts websites) says left hand.

Are they interchangeable, or am I going to have to go hunt in a junkyard for one and hope to not break it when removing?

Old 04-08-2020, 09:57 PM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by XRAD

i had a rover shop put in a tw shaft when my 04 was still under aftermarket warranty in 2012 and it vibrated so bad when I got on the highway I had to return to get my old one put in within 30 min
but the 2nd one they sent me was fine

Old 04-08-2020, 09:58 PM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

So are you buying a disco ??

Old 04-08-2020, 10:16 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
So are you buying a disco ??
I am vetting one heavily, yes. Trying to factor in what might need to be done it needs to be done to pricing discussion.

Quick Reply: Educate a Newbie