Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Educate a Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 09:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

https://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto...105577682.html

not mine i just saw it and thought it was in nice shape

Old 04-09-2020, 06:49 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zuke
https://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto...105577682.html

not mine i just saw it and thought it was in nice shape
Already sold! I messaged to ask about maintenance records.

Feeling pretty good about the one I am looking at. Have an independent Land Rover shop lined up to do a PPI. Talked to a car transport company today.

Sorting out (assuming passes PPI) how to do the transaction where he gets paid and I get car and title without problems. Got a friend I used to work with that lives nearby so might send him the cashiers check in the sellers name and have him take possession. Any other ideas?

Clean CarFax. On the hour I spent on the phone with seller, he told without me asking that it did get love tapped in the rear in October, cracked the bumper, and he wasn’t sure if it would show on CarFax. It did as “damage” but that’s it. Feel like he’s being honest with me.

Any thoughts on where to find that passenger drip tray?

Old 04-09-2020, 07:21 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Remote buying is tricky. I have bought and sold long distance. Fly in, drive home. There are escrow services, cost is sorta minimal, but not much additional protection. Most recent one I bought remotely. Had the buyer sign the title, sent to me via fedex, I sent 50% payment. If I had not - he could file with DMV for last title (plus email documentation). I then arranged truck shipping. I sent remaining payment when vehicle was loaded on the truck. Shipping cost was COD. Seller was active duty military, so maybe a little less risk on my part.

Get a photo of DL, make sure it matches title.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:07 PM
Drifting

Well looks like it may be getting sold out from under me. Was trying to sort out a local shop for a PPI and car transport logistics. Says he has someone coming to see it Saturday and turned down a deposit for it from him so won’t take one (or even a deposit + sale contingent on PPI). Said he’d let me know if he no shows Saturday.

I mean I get it’s first come first serve kind of world, but ... just pretty surprised. Guess we’ll see what happens.

Old 04-10-2020, 07:23 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 440 Likes on 300 Posts

SIDENOTES: Got the rovers north proline driveshaft in last night. drove to work. No issues. Felt like the original one. The proline model is this one:
https://www.roversnorth.com/parts/pl...y_ii_1999_2004

which looks just like the GBR shaft for 100$ more.... The proline shaft is much lighter than the heavy duty TW shaft.

Only thing is that the center ball in the double cardan does NOT have a grease fitting, so I guess I just grease it under the rubber cover......

Old 04-10-2020, 06:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
Remote buying is tricky. I have bought and sold long distance. Fly in, drive home. There are escrow services, cost is sorta minimal, but not much additional protection. Most recent one I bought remotely. Had the buyer sign the title, sent to me via fedex, I sent 50% payment. If I had not - he could file with DMV for last title (plus email documentation). I then arranged truck shipping. I sent remaining payment when vehicle was loaded on the truck. Shipping cost was COD. Seller was active duty military, so maybe a little less risk on my part.

Get a photo of DL, make sure it matches title.
SOme additional thoughts. Get a shipping agreement for a certain number of days, firm. With delay penalties, get transport company license copy. Get picture of truck on the transport, truck driver, drivers license, transport license plate. If they don't show, or don't bring your vehicle, you want to be able to put the police on them. You may want to consider getting a GPS tracking device and have the seller put it in the vehicle without the drivers knowledge, then you can track it.

Old 04-10-2020, 06:17 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Extinct
SOme additional thoughts. Get a shipping agreement for a certain number of days, firm. With delay penalties, get transport company license copy. Get picture of truck on the transport, truck driver, drivers license, transport license plate. If they don't show, or don't bring your vehicle, you want to be able to put the police on them. You may want to consider getting a GPS tracking device and have the seller put it in the vehicle without the drivers knowledge, then you can track it.
The overall problem I'm running into is twofold:
1. Not being local turns a lot of people off, which I get. Shipping, etc. is a big "ehhh... I'll wait on a local buyer"
2. With the list of questions I have -- thanks to this forum -- it scares a lot of people off because they either don't know all of the answers, or would rather wait for someone who doesn't ask so many questions. And the ones that would answer are more on the BaT side of things which, honestly, I'm not looking to drop $18k on a 20 year old vehicle...

Pretty discouraged, but let's see what tomorrow brings.

Old 04-10-2020, 07:22 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

The biggest mistakes are always made when you are in a hurry.

Old 04-10-2020, 07:23 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dave03S
The biggest mistakes are always made when you are in a hurry.
True, and I keep telling myself that. It's easy for the brain to say "But that was the one and there won't be any others.." which isn't true. Just annoyed.

Old 04-11-2020, 07:41 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

If you think your BMW required maintenance
You ain't seen nothing yet.

Quick Reply: Educate a Newbie