Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Educate a Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 07:57 AM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What are the critical things a PPI should include?

Reading any codes, checking for leaks, play in the suspension, rust spots, etc. What about compression or fuel pressure test? Just want to make sure I am clear as to what I want checked or if there is a common checklist to provide a shop to make sure they do.

Also, besides Ultragauge, what else is critical to buy? Would you buy a nanocom/hawkeye to have on hand? Just a normal OBD2 scanner?

Old 04-12-2020, 08:11 AM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBestCow
What are the critical things a PPI should include?

Reading any codes, checking for leaks, play in the suspension, rust spots, etc. What about compression or fuel pressure test? Just want to make sure I am clear as to what I want checked or if there is a common checklist to provide a shop to make sure they do.

Also, besides Ultragauge, what else is critical to buy? Would you buy a nanocom/hawkeye to have on hand? Just a normal OBD2 scanner?

the ultraguage is also a code reader / reset tool
I never needed to buy a nanocom but they are good for 3 amigos and more complex issues

as for ppi is a shop doing it ? Because if I was a seller and someone wanted to start messing with my engine or checking fuel etc I would not be happy

check for rust , suspension ( May have to raise vehicle to check certain things )

Old 04-12-2020, 08:52 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
the ultraguage is also a code reader / reset tool
I never needed to buy a nanocom but they are good for 3 amigos and more complex issues

as for ppi is a shop doing it ? Because if I was a seller and someone wanted to start messing with my engine or checking fuel etc I would not be happy

check for rust , suspension ( May have to raise vehicle to check certain things )
A shop or dealer depending on location.

I did see the list from Juke179r, just seeing if there is anything else or standard to ask for.

Old 04-12-2020, 07:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,040 Posts

What price/mileage range truck are you looking at? Oil pressure is easy to check and will tell you the most about the engine, compression test is the second best. Code reader is a given, elm327 with torque app is good enough.

I bought one truck with a misfire code on one cylinder only - compression was low on that cylinder. Code reader and compression test could have told me which cylinder to check. Actually I bought two trucks with low compression on one cylinder only.

I bought one truck with a walked cam bearing, it had low oil pressure.

General recommendations:

Don't spend a lot of money on trucks that the seller has owned less than a year. Don't spend a lot of money on a truck from someone who got it an a used car auction unless it is super mint.

Try to buy from a private seller with lots of service history.

This came with the last truck I bought, 2nd to last truck came with the same.

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (04-17-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 11:21 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 439 Likes on 299 Posts

My 2001 Disco had every receipt since new (2 inch thick pile). BUT, it still needed a ton of work. It's a crapshoot. Find one you really really like (as in color and interior or accessories) so that you will want to keep it after you have to start dumping $$ into it...

Nanocom w/cable is about 475 delivered (will pay for itself in the first month). A generic scan tool ( a decent one) is about 150, but you get code readings with ultragauge anyway for under 100 . So if you are going to own a disco, get the nanocom and ultragauge systems. If you are short on cash, go with ultragauge first.

Old 04-14-2020, 10:41 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by XRAD
My 2001 Disco had every receipt since new (2 inch thick pile). BUT, it still needed a ton of work. It's a crapshoot. Find one you really really like (as in color and interior or accessories) so that you will want to keep it after you have to start dumping $$ into it...

Nanocom w/cable is about 475 delivered (will pay for itself in the first month). A generic scan tool ( a decent one) is about 150, but you get code readings with ultragauge anyway for under 100 . So if you are going to own a disco, get the nanocom and ultragauge systems. If you are short on cash, go with ultragauge first.
Which Ultragauge -- EM Plus v1.2 or EM Plus v1.4? Looks like either would work, but 1.4 works with newer vehicles as well? Same price as well.

Last edited by TheBestCow; 04-14-2020 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:31 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 439 Likes on 299 Posts

I got the 1.2. works fine for the disco.