Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Howdy all! Newbie to the scene. Actually, I don't even have one yet:) But I have a plan! A long one.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 03:20 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Howdy all! Newbie to the scene. Actually, I don't even have one yet:) But I have a plan! A long one.

Like "The A-Team", I've got a plan. While I'm a noob to this vehicle and arena, I am relatively well versed in the auto world. I service my own vehicles, have my own lift, source my own parts from a few friends at wholesale, and tend to spend my automotive free-time driving my pants off at the local track (open road of course...no 1/4 mile rice. I do all my own service and upkeep on my track car, as well as the respective daily drivers of my family, friends, etc. From F-150s to Lexus LS400s I've seen quite a few car guts.

That being said, I have NEVER worked on a Land Rover. All I have ever heard are horror stories. However, I take them with a grain of salt because I heard the same thing about my Audi TT, or all Audis in general for that matter. I literally pay them no mind because the car is not that hard to work on, isn't a "maintenance monster", and merely wants to be loved and paid attention to. Easy for me since it's my 2nd favorite car next to a 911. So I long ago learned that most people a.) don't know jack about cars in general, b.) don't know jack about their own cars in particular, and c.) want to tell you how horrible everything is with any car that requires an ounce of maintenance or attention to run smoothly (most of the Toyota owners I know. So as I'm sure you all know, Land Rover discussions are not the most friendly and are generally fairly tainted.

Unfortunately, my better half and I happen to love the way the Land Rovers look (duh), as well as the space inside. She currently has an LS400, and with 3 boys, the dog, and the two of us, space is limited. That car is the beign of my existence. I hate the styling, the handling, the gas mileage, the ride, everything. But most of all, if I'm going to be driving something that gets 17-20 MPG on the highway (as the Lexus does), I'd rather it be something MUCH larger, with some aesthetic personality/uniqueness, and is more comfortable (as the Disco appears to be). Being 6'4" and 230lbs I like my space.

So...here's where we stand. We are selling the Lexus (anybody want it?, and looking at Discoveries. As I have no prior experience working on them, I've developed two plans of attack.

The first, is to purchase an '03-'04 Disco. I have a longtime friend who owns a dealership and he's pretty certain he can get one, at cost, with pretty low miles for under $15k (our unofficial cap).

The second plan is to purchase a 2000-2002. The thought here is that the aftermarket value on these are REALLY low, the wholesale as well, and I can pick one up for (maybe if I'm lucky) half of what an '03-'04 would be with relatively decent mileage. As an example, I found an '02 with 17,000 on it for $12000. Not that much lower than the '03s or '04s, but I was using it more as a mileage example.

Plan #1 is pretty straightforward: buy the car basically good to go and hope there are no problems that I'll have to deal with right off the bat. As much as I love working on cars, I really enjoy not HAVING to do something to them also

Plan #2 is a little sideways. The thought here is that with all the money I'd save going older, I'll have a solid amount left over should a.) anything go wrong, b.) I need to upgrade anything (inclusive of cosmetics for the wife--she likes the safari racks/bumpers), and c.) saving $5-8,000 buys a lot of gas you know. Plus, with this option, it allows us to dip our toes into the Disco-world, and if for some crazy Twilight Zone reason we want out, we aren't that heavily invested in it in the beginning. Losing time on something doesn't bother me as much as dollars.

I should have prefaced this thesis by stating that the rig will mainly be used as a secondary/tertiary vehicle to our other two cars (my TT and her coupe). It is going to be utility for the weeks/weekends we have the boys (she has split-custody with her ex...otherwise known as "The POS"). Any 4-wheeling will be strictly around town when/if it snows (which happens but is rare) and the kids or us NEED to go somewhere. I don't do any heavy off-roading at all. My extra curricular activities driving are only at PIR where I can get my go-fast out of me. 4-wheeling isn't something I'm doing now. There might be an occassion I tow something light, but any major towing I use my family's 3/4 ton. It's kinda the workhorse for everyone. I know the CDL is a major deal in the '04 for some people, but I don't think it will make that much difference to me in the real-world application of this vehicle with me.

So, any thoughts on which way I should go? Both plans are subject to debate (please?) and comment (pretty please?). I have read the FAQ and so many pages on this forum my eyes are bleeding. Being a veteran of the Audiworld forums, I know how annoying it is when the new guy comes in asking tons of questions and didn't STFA. However, I was not able to piece together an answer that would cover (to my satisfaction) the level of knowledge I feel I need to decide once and for all. I have truly enjoyed lurking here in the shadows, and look forward to being able to rock my new Disco with y'all real soon!

Thanks all!

Old 04-19-2008, 03:46 AM
Mudding
Default RE: Howdy all! Newbie to the scene. Actually, I don't even have one yet:) But I have a plan! A long

Most British-made automobiles are "high-matinence" vehicles. If you are willing to spend more time doing "things" to the LR than other vehicles, then they are very very fun vehicles. I think you are a bit optimistic on the gas mileage you anticipate, though. 10-15 mpg is more realistic.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Howdy all! Newbie to the scene. Actually, I don't even have one yet:) But I have a plan! A long

Yes, I'm 6'3" and 200 lbs. My 03 Disco is very comfortable for me, so I think you're gonna be pleased with one as far as that goes. If you don't do the more extreme off-roading, then you'd probably like the 03 because it's less expensive and doesn't have central diff lock, but has great power and the cool updated headlights. Just make sure to look up the TSB on oil pump failure and make sure your VIN number isn't in the range of affected Discos, or if the engine has been replaced already you'll be OK regardless. Use premium gasoline and 100% synthetic oil. My gas mileage is 19 mpg on the highway, but I don't have a big roof rack up on top and Inever drive over 75 mph on the highway. Be prepared to spend a couple thousand dollars the first year to fix the things the previous owner neglected, but once you fix those things you'll have a fun and reliable truck.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You will never find a '02 with 17k on it, you will be closer to 100 if not more.
You can expect 15+ on the expressway as long as you do like DifferentDrummer said, a light foot and full synthetics, if yoiu want to go fast then drive the TT.
These trk's are addictive, once you get one you will want one forever.
And way to be proactive and ask questions before you buy.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Rock Crawling

Welcome. I have owned several discoveries and I have found my '03 to be the most reliable by far. While Land Rovers have their eccentricities, I often say that I have never been afraid she wasn't going to get me home. They have their share of leaks and gremlins but despite all that I truly feel they are solid and well built vehicles. I feel the lack of problems I have experienced with my '03 is a combination of things. First I would attribute to previous kinks being worked out and the second I would attribute to maintenance. Despite being in warranty I finally decided to just skip the dealer and fix it myself. I think several issues I have experienced with previous discoveries were a function of the dealer not getting the problem right the first time thus requiring multiple trips for the same thing. Regardless of year, I have never experienced any mechanical breakdowns just faulty sensors, leaky valve gaskets and the like. If you know what you are doing most of the issues are 10 minute fixes but most people don't know that or how to fix it, thus the bad rap.

Again, we are talking about Land Rover so regardless of year it's going to be a craps shoot as to whether you get a good one or a bad one. If you are going to go with an '03 I would advise not getting one within the "exploding oil pump" VIN range. I don't remember what the range is put I know I have posted it a couple of times. Just do a search for 03 oil pump. Mine is in the range and I'm coming up on 50k without any problems, but it just doesn't seem like a good idea to roll the dice if you don't have to. Another common problem is faulty plug wires regardless of year. I just had to do them at 44K so you may just want to go ahead and head that off at the pass and change them out first thing. After I had thought about it I did remember having to have the plugs and wires changed at a very early milage before. I'm sure others will have more advice/opinions but mine would be to go with an '03/'04 you get the 4.6 engine as well as many other little "refinements."

Old 04-19-2008, 02:02 PM
2nd Gear
Default Spike, never say never:)

I found one with that mileage already. If I tell everybody where though, it'll be gone Seriously though, thank you for the feedback.

I have the VINs listed and ready to reference once the time is right. It sounds to me like the common theme here is to go with the '03 irregardless of whether or not an earlier one has the same mileage. Would that about sum it up?

And oh yeah, nothing else is driven fast except the TT in my house. And that's only on the track because the race suspension is so damned tight, that putting any speed on the surface streets into that baby would knock your teeth out. You won't catch me getting pulled over for speeding around town or on the highway that's for sure. It's too hard on the car with the lack of road conditions these days. If I'm going to have something brake while going fast, I'd rather it be at the track where it's controlled and I have support you know? I don't even have the Harley over 40mph 99% of the time.

Thanks for all the great, and timely, feedback everyone! It really is appreciated!

Old 04-19-2008, 03:16 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Spike555

You will never find a '02 with 17k on it, you will be closer to 100 if not more.
No, you can find plenty with that mileage, rare, but they do exist. I have seen about 3 roll through my area with about that much.

What i tell people is to look around at a few, dont just jump into the first on and be sold on it. I looked at a few and if i would have bought the first one I would have been very disappointed. Shope around test drive a handful and bring it so a shop before you buy. Most local mechs. can tell you if there is something major wrong. But you might even be able to do it on your own if you know what to look for. If it has records look ever them and make sure everything was done on it, not all have the records because they get taken out of the trucks. Good luck finding the perfect disco, you will love it!

Keep us posting on what you end up doing.