Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR- blanking plate

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 12:35 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR- blanking plate

Hi All

I believe that if you blank off the EGR valve on a 300tdi discovery, you get better consumption and power. My concern however is that the EGR is there for a specific purpose and one of the purposes is to let warm exhaust air into the engine so that the engine does not have to work harder to reach its operating temp, thererby reducing heat in the combustion process. Does removing the EGR valve not cuase other problems by the engine having to work harder.

Thanks
suveer

Old 07-10-2007, 12:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: EGR- blanking plate

I recall the EGR valve existing for primarily for the purpose of recycling exhasut gas (EGR) to produce cleaner emissions. I am also aware that if you remove it you can create adverse inpacts to your engine or more specifically your valvetrain. I remember researching this topic when I was debating removing it from my 79 Jeep CJ7 but have forgotten since. For whatever reason I decided to leave it on. I was more concerned about protecting my rebuilt engine then a few extra horses or torque. I know a 79 CJ is completly different from a Land Rover but some general automotiveprocesses are parallel. IMO, I would leave it on, just to be safe. They engineer these thingsthe way they are for a reason. Unless you have a thourough understandiung of thermodynamics, Isay don't risk it. At least that's what I decided. Othertechnicians did disagree with me however. Plus, I'm a sort of environmentalist anyway...I say find another way to get the extra umph.