Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric Fan only comes on with A/C not by temp. Does the Coolant Temp Sensor signal the rad fan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 06:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electric Fan only comes on with A/C not by temp. Does the Coolant Temp Sensor signal the rad fan?

ORIGINAL: roverguy7

if its not comming on thats a good thing... the coolant has to get very hot for that alone to turn on. wont do it under normal opperating conditions, sometimes when offroading youll see it, and occasionally if you let it sit fora long time with it running
Yeah this year for the first time that happened. It was a typical +100°f July day in Texas I'd had the A/C running also. The Kenlowe fans came on AFTER I'd turned the truck off and ran for about 5 minutes to cool it off. I had actually turned the A/C off before I turned off the truck and heard them stop when I did. They came on again about ~10 secs after the engine was shut off.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:30 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem and am trying to find the auxiliary fan sensor. I get all kinds of help except what I need. I found a sensor on the left side of the block above a freeze plug and the engine mount. This sensor goes into engine water which should be the hottest. I think this is the sensor I need to change. I just want confirmation that this is a fan heat sensor. I cannot understand why all my source printed and on-line fail to discuss the location of this fan sensor.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:56 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure that's the knock sensors.

Coolant sensors should both be on top. At least on the d1

Either way.. Your engine should not overheat, and the aux fans are not there to keep it from getting there idling. If your engine is overheating with The a/c on but not off it IS the fan clutch.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Coolant temp sensor for the D2 is a single unit, between the alternator and AC compressor, on top. It signals the ECU, the ECU drives fueling, dash gauge, electric fan relay, and other things from this single sensor. A scanner or ultra gauge can show you the digital temp the ECU is monitoring at any time.

Electric fans in a D1 come on with AC, and at other times. On a D2 they follow a slightly different set of rules:

Electric cooling fan switching points:

For A/C system:
On When vehicle speed is 50 mph (80 km/h) or less and ambient temperature is 28 °C (82 °F) or more
Off When vehicle speed increases to (62.5 mph (100 km/h) or ambient temperature decreases to 25 °C (77 °F)

For engine cooling during normal running:
On 100 °C (212 °F)
Off 94.5 °C (202 °F)

For engine cooling at ignition off (to counteract heat soak):
On If, within 10 seconds of ignition off, intake air temperature is 60 °C (140°F) or more and engine coolant temperature is 110 °C (230 °F) or more
Off After 10 minutes or if engine coolant temperature decreases to 100 °C (212 °F)

If electric fan never comes on that is a problem. If electric fan blades don't spin freely, motor is siezed or almost. If keep blowing fuse the motor is siezing up.

If viscous fan clutch allows main fan to spin more than 1 revolution when hot or cold, when spun by hand and released, then it has lost internal fluid and needs to be replaced. Should feel like peanut butter inside, not penetrating oil.

Dash gauge is designed to be innacurate to avoid widespread panic. The engineer who designed it (Dr Goofus Bastid) has a brother (Robin Bastid) in the head gasket business. Anything above 50% is suspect. On a D2 it is a digital reading running an analog pointer (cool, OK, toast). On a D1, not much better.

Attached Thumbnails  Electric Fan only comes on with A/C not by temp. Does the Coolant Temp Sensor signal the rad fan?-p1120320.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 08-14-2012 at 04:58 AM.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:55 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought I had to be a purist and bought one from AB when my original one started wobbling all over the place and had the exact same thing happen. Gas mileage went subzero as well. Bought the cheap Chevy one from Advanced Auto seeking instant gratification, works perfectly. There are many threads on here about this conversion