Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical clicky-click under dash - very weird

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 05:33 AM
TReK
Received 767 Likes on 635 Posts

There are a couple of built-in relays in that fusebox, along with the IDM (Intelligent Driver Module) so it's possible that something in there had developed a problem.
Keep all the fuses and spare relays. It's a Rover so you'll probably need them at some point.

Old 12-08-2020, 01:49 AM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad for you it´s sorted your problem.
I have teste 3 different fuseboxes byt my clicking won´t go away

Either all my 3 fuseboxes are bad, or there is something else?
I think I have to dig deeper in the electric scematic.

Last edited by Paeve; 12-08-2020 at 02:00 AM.
Old 12-09-2020, 01:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds odd but is your rear wiper button pressed? I had this same issue and went through fuse boxes etc. Turned it the rear wiper motor was broken but the switch was pressed so the relay kept clicking. Drove me nuts for a while.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:38 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by botbotbot
Sounds odd but is your rear wiper button pressed? I had this same issue and went through fuse boxes etc. Turned it the rear wiper motor was broken but the switch was pressed so the relay kept clicking. Drove me nuts for a while.
No its not, i wish it was that simple.
Tanks anyway.!

Old 12-10-2020, 05:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,145 Likes on 619 Posts

To the poster who had an issue with 3 fuseboxes, first off I feel sorry for your knuckles which are surely gnarled from all the plugging and unplugging !

I can't say for certain, but I would bet it is something in a wiring connection between the IDM/this fusebox and the BCU (body ECU over on the right passenger side). Possibly a bad BCU also.
In other words, this is a symptom if the fuse box is corroded. It's also a symptom of a wiring issue / corrosion in connectors / between the BCU and the Fusebox.

Old 12-11-2020, 02:57 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by nashvegas
To the poster who had an issue with 3 fuseboxes, first off I feel sorry for your knuckles which are surely gnarled from all the plugging and unplugging !

I can't say for certain, but I would bet it is something in a wiring connection between the IDM/this fusebox and the BCU (body ECU over on the right passenger side). Possibly a bad BCU also.
In other words, this is a symptom if the fuse box is corroded. It's also a symptom of a wiring issue / corrosion in connectors / between the BCU and the Fusebox.

Ha ha! thanks, Yes my hands and knuckels where scars now as if I have a kitten farm..
Yes! my bet is also somewere in or between the BCU and IDM.

This is all my electrical gremlings, Maybe I can get a second opinion from you guys if it most likely the BCU.

SIgns:
1. in the morning, often my key fob don´t work, need to open with key.
2. Interior dome lights dont work with doors, they work when manually pushed so no light bulb fault.
3. Clicks from internal relay 80 % of the time when the car is on.
4. Shift light puls on and off at the same pase as the relay click, (shifter light only pulse when headlights is on)
5. Also the front and rear window heater buttons orange indicator stops working when relay is clicking, not sure if the heater work then?? prob not. still no frost in Stockholm so haven´t tried it.
6. Side indicator is blinking in half the speed as normal.

I just fixed my Tre Amigos with new valv shuttle and a new hub and sensor, so this is the final obsticle befor my D2 is fully functional..

Thinking of shippinf my BCU to UK over Christmas for a real check.,

Last edited by Paeve; 12-11-2020 at 03:19 AM.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:20 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a very similar thing just this morning in my '04 D2. The clicking noise was coming from the left end of the dashboard--is there a fuse/relay box there? Hadn't driven the Disco in a month and a half so I was wondering if the battery was dying, since the locks were very weak and took three tries to get them up far enough to actually unlock the door with the remote, and then the engine crank seemed a bit weak, though it did start. I got the rhythmic clicking with the shifter P light pulsing with the beat as soon as I opened the door. Shifter would not let me come out of Park at first. I shut the car off and restarted it a couple times and after the third time, I was able to move the shift lever even though the light was still pulsing and the clicker still clicking. Weird thing was, once the shifter was out of P and in another position, the clicking stopped. Until I parked and put the lever back in P. Does that narrow it down to any particular fuse or relay? Or do I need to replace the whole box? Looking to sell this Disco in the next few months to a year and would like to present the new owner with as few issues as possible (hopefully only the sunroofs with minds of their own and probably head gaskets in the not too distant future...).

Old 12-17-2020, 09:51 AM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like exactly the same problem I had. I tried swapping some relays but the issue is internal to the fuse box assembly itself. As you can see from the pics I posted there are multiple components hard wired to the boards themselves. Swapping out the fuse boxes is what worked for me. Unplugging the connectors was a bugger but I've had no problems since installing the used replacement.

I sourced mine on Ebay from Overland Imports (user name ky_scrap1) for a very reasonable price.

Old 12-27-2020, 08:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks stxscott. I'll see what I can find out there.

Old 12-28-2020, 05:43 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So i still haven’t found my fault.
I manage to fix the key fob issue and interior light. That was due to corrosion in the connectors down the foot well.

But I still have my clicks?
what’s the number on the green connector on the backside facing the door on the IDM?

need a hint where to start looking in the wire diagram.

Quick Reply: Electrical clicky-click under dash - very weird