Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Gremlins/3 Amigos - Help please.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 05:20 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Electrical Gremlins/3 Amigos - Help please.....

Ok,
1999MY DII. Great truck, etc, etc. I have done the 60K Service, ordered the parts to rebuild front driveshaft, and now have to tackle the electrical bugs on this baby. Some are annoying, some I consider life-threatening.

1) Turn Signals - these work intermittently, sometimes right away on startup, sometimes not at all, and sometimes after a 5 minute warmup. In other words, totally random whether I'll have my turn signals on any given day. I'm guessing a faulty relay somewhere, because when they work, they work great, so its either all or nothing.
When they do not work, there are no lights anywhere. Not on the dash, the bumper, Nada...

Now, here in atlanta, the daily commute downtown to work will about change your religion. Having no turn signals on said commute will cause a normally sane person to speak in tongues, possibly while holding snakes, all while driving and not spilling my coffee....So I consider this fix a priority over the next 3 to come...

2) Rear Windows - same story as the turn signals. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I thought initially it was tied to the relay for the lamps, but they work on thier own pattern, which is to say, whenever they please.....My dog dosen't appreciate this - she likes her head out the rear window at all times... I was thinking starting at the cheap end, replacing the window switches first, and then going from there....suggestions??

3) Wipers - do NOT work at all on "intermittent" setting. New Park Switch or New Motor? They do, however, work great when I flick the switch down for a single pass of the wipers..

4) 3 amigos are on. I'm either going to buy an ABS Amigo, or if someone wants to "rent" me theirs, I'll happily paypal you the $200 +/- shipping, and you can refund it when I give your baby back....I really want those SOB's off. In fact, I think I remember a poll here. I'm going to look for it when I get done with this post.

I'm fine doing the ABS Mod fix (per the guy from VI), but I need to know what's going on in there before I go rooting around the brake system....If its a wheel sensor - is there a way to tell that besides doing the Amigo thing??

A case of very good beer/great steaks (depending on your poision/age) will be waiting at my shop for the person who can advise how to get all 4 of these done......I'm in downtown ATL GA.....

I have the RAVE manual, downloaded, and have been browsing. I am working on my diagnostic prowess, as the wrench-turning is pretty second-nature at this point. So, if anyone has diagnosed these issues, I will be forever in your debt if you can help. I've got a pretty good work area here too, so if someone wants to come and help, be my guest....

Thanks in advance guys//gals.

- DC

Last edited by ATLDisco; 11-12-2009 at 05:23 AM. Reason: adding to this