Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emission relevant misfire misfire multiple cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 03:07 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Emission relevant misfire misfire multiple cylinders

Hey guys! I have an 02 disco 2. I recently picked it up with only 95k on the engine. When I first got it I bought an LRII reader because it had the three amigos. When I read the codes I found that it also needed a new MAFS. This was actually pretty easy to fix. New shuttle valve and boom. Amigos gone. New MAG boom. MAF code gone but now i have a slew of new codes that I think may be related.

Emission relevant misfire misfire multiple cylinders
Emission relevant misfire cyl 3
Emission relevant misfire cyl 5
Emission relevant misfire cyl 7

This seems odd to me because it came out of no where. No signs of any misfires just as soon as I finished the MAF the engine wouldn't stay on. It just turned off. I tried to read the codes but it just said misfire in cyl 7. I the. Tried to turn it on and give it some gas, which indeed kept the engine on but it sounded like there were misfires. So now I'm stuck thinking of how to fix it. Any ideas on where to start? It can't be as easy as spark plugs and distribution cap. Highly unlikely three go bad at once I think.
Thanks for the help!

Old 01-29-2017, 04:11 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

When you aren't giving it gas, what is the idle at and is it dropping low then shutting off? What type of fuel have you been running in it and what type of spark plugs are you using? There are numerous options that could cause this issue. The first being low quality gas. Secondly, a dirty throttle body. Thirdly, bad or dirty idle air control valve. Fourth, a fouled plug (some what common with the platinum 4's). Fifth, bad fuel flow to said cylinder. The list can continue to go on. I would first remove the spark plug and check it out. Then make sure it is clean and properly gapped. Make sure the ignition lead (spark plug wire) is connected properly and in good working order on both ends. You can verify that with a cheap plug tester.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:30 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
When you aren't giving it gas, what is the idle at and is it dropping low then shutting off? What type of fuel have you been running in it and what type of spark plugs are you using? There are numerous options that could cause this issue. The first being low quality gas. Secondly, a dirty throttle body. Thirdly, bad or dirty idle air control valve. Fourth, a fouled plug (some what common with the platinum 4's). Fifth, bad fuel flow to said cylinder. The list can continue to go on. I would first remove the spark plug and check it out. Then make sure it is clean and properly gapped. Make sure the ignition lead (spark plug wire) is connected properly and in good working order on both ends. You can verify that with a cheap plug tester.
some of my info was incorrect. Sorry. Just woke up and still trying to get woken up. Below are a few photos from the rave manual. Pull your plugs and verify if the are clean or dirty and see if can shine a light down there and see if there is possibly coolant where you might have a blown head gasket. You could have some plug wires crossed BC those cylinders you are showing are ran off of both coil packs and not just a single one.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:31 AM
Pro Wrench

See if you can actually get us the codes it's showing

Old 01-29-2017, 10:14 AM
Overlanding

Good morning! Thanks for the speedy reply. I only run 91. Haven't put anything else in. Previous owner said the same thing. I checked out the throttle body when I replaced the MAFS. It looked real squeaky clean, almost as it the previous owner replaced it. When I'm not giving it gas it drops really low, rpm wise, then dies. In total it will run for about 30-45 seconds. I'm not sure how to get he actual codes, this is what my reader gives me.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:56 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Did you plug the harness back into the new sensor?
Your truck doesn't have a distribution cap...
If you didn't have engine misfires before you replaced the MAF sensor then you forgot to plug something back in or you accidentally broke/unplugged something else.

Last edited by chubbs878; 01-29-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:40 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by chubbs878
Did you plug the harness back into the new sensor?
Your truck doesn't have a distribution cap...
If you didn't have engine misfires before you replaced the MAF sensor then you forgot to plug something back in or you accidentally broke/unplugged something else.
yea I was afraid I messed something when I switched he MAF but i only saw the one cable for the MAF and there wasn't anything else around there that I saw.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:36 PM
Overlanding

Well I'm not too sure what caused it but this happened. Any idea what that is? And what would cause it to pop out? It's a real pain to get back in.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:04 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
See if you can actually get us the codes it's showing
Hey there! Thanks for the reply. I was trying to reply earlier today but for some reason they aren't coming up. I'm pretty new to this forum thing. Moving on to some answers.

I always run 91. Previous owner claims the same. Throttle body looks great. I can pull the plugs and look at them tomorrow after work but I definitely found another problem earlier today. The breather hose popped out of the upper intake. I'm not too sure what actually happened to cause that though. It seems a little odd that it built up enough pressure to pop out. I can't even get it back in. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.

I'm not sure if that will effect the cylinder misfires, but it definitely could help find the cause.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:10 PM
Overlanding

alright, Ive been trying to post on my phone and it just hasn't been working lately so I'll try on the computer. Hopefully all my posts don't just pop up in a few days.

Luckyayb,
I only run 91, previous owner said the same thing. When I'm not giving it gas it just dies. Almost instantly. It tries to idle but just fails which made me think that there was something stuck in the IACV hose but there was nothing. I'm not too sure what spark plugs are in there but i can pull them and check if need be. I checked out the throttle body and it is squeaky clean. I will pull the hoses and check the IACV when i pull the plugs this weekend. I was reading the RAVE pretty thoroughly and it seems that the fuel injectors have the most similar symptoms so I'm leaning towards replacing them all. Another problem i found is that the breather hose just popped out of the plenum. No idea what could have caused this. it's a brass piece so its definitely been replaced before. i cant even get the thing back in there.

Quick Reply: Emission relevant misfire misfire multiple cylinders