Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

End All answer to stupid oil questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 04:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Just fill the new filter with oil, put it on then check the oil the next day after driving the truck and it has sat all night.
It is best to check the oil level after it has sat on level ground all night.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:38 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Does not seem to be a clearance problem.
You do want to make sure there're no issues when the springs are at full compression. Subtract the distance between the bump stop and the axle tube from the clearance below the filter.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Is there another alternative to sealing the oil filter? The past three filter's that I have used still manage to leak at the base no matter how hard I hand tighten. I've used KNN and Mobil 301 large filters and see it still manages to leave a slow drip.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd like to see one of those filter pictures of it next to a Mobil 301 to see the size difference. I thought the Mobil 301 was huge.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

About same diameter, but 1.6 inches longer.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:59 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
I just picked up the only Mann filter of this size in stock at Advance in Savannah. It was not on display, and was sitting in the back. The box was shelf worn, and the red Purolator logo faded out. Filter inside nice and new. $8. They must not move very often. They did say they can get them usually in a day or so. So the on-line inventory worked this time for Advance (you can see their stock and price from home before making a run into town from the ranch). Can't wait to put this honken' thing on the Disco. Will post pix so people can judge clearance for themselves. Box says made in Mexico (I think that is just the box) and filter says made in Germany.
Buzz-
Thanks for taking the last filter in Savannah! I did my first oil change with our new Disco and was all excited for this HUGE filter. I had to settle for the Mobil filter with Rotella 5/40 synthetic. Oh well, I guess next time I'll order the filter a week or so before from Advanced Auto Parts. Also I'll have the advantage of seeing how they run in everybody's trucks. Take care.
Cheers,
Gabe

Old 01-28-2012, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Parts vultures fly low and fast....

Old 01-30-2012, 10:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's going to come gushing out as soon as you crank the old one off. You are in for a fun messy time I bet.

I would plan on having plenty of oil on hand just in case.

If you have a standard 4.0 Discovery, the filter does not actually have a "Housing" it just screws on a projecting threaded post on the bottom of of the engine at the front. I do not consider that to be a "Housing" like some of the older engines had.

When you remove the old filter you need to ensure that the old one did not leave anything still on the post or surface that would allow a leak. Also ensure you coat the built in seal of the new filter with fresh oil before installing. If you still have leak issues, you may have a slight nick or worn spot somewhere that is not properly sealing.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:49 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
I don't know if it matters, but the stock filter relief valve setting it 8-11psi and the Purolator L40316 is 36psi.
I decided to give a WIX engineer a call this morning.
He made the very good point that with the higher bypass valve setting at cold startup or when clogged your bearings are going to be starved for oil longer than with the 8-11 valve setting specified by Rover.
The higher valve setting will cause a greater pressure differential for a longer period of time, so less oil going to where you need it.

Certainly nothing wrong with a larger filter, but I suggest sticking with the factory bypass setting.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:23 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

With his logic it seems like the '7' version at 10 psi would be more appropriate then the '4' version?

Quick Reply: End All answer to stupid oil questions.