Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

End of my rope with the throttle body heater leaking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 12:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 419 Likes on 267 Posts
Default End of my rope with the throttle body heater leaking.

This is the third OEM LR throttle body heater kit and it’s leaking. I want to keep it installed and not bypass it because I don’t want to be limited where I’m able to go to due to temp. Plus I just like things stock. But this is ridiculous. What’s the solution? Replace these every 6 months??

Old 05-05-2020, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,669 Posts

It will NOT effect you unless for some reason we wake up to the movie "The Day After Tomorrow" and if so the TBH is the least of your worries.

I've gone over this in great detail, but the throttle body is mounted high in the engine bay, heat rises (right off the exhaust manifold for starters not even counting the heat soaked up thru the intake itself). I have seen 2 TB's stick and had absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact the TBH's were bypassed. The throttle body plate itself and the housing was the cause. Cleaned both with a scotchbrite pad & they no longer stuck open.

I put the TB freezing up there with seeing Elvis, an alien, winning the 75,000,000,000,000.00 powerball, or finding Jimmy Hoffa.

All the reports on here NEVER documented a single thing. Just said oh it stuck & I nearly died... That is not enough proof for me. I've seen em stick from being dirty or a bad throttle cable.

Remove it and be done with it unless you drive in The Day After Tomorrow type conditions. Heck I even removed it from my 3.9L 95 D1.

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (05-06-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 12:51 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

I used 180 then 220 grit sandpaper taped down, going straight forward and back, turn 90 degrees, and repeat until I had a flat surface on the bottom of the throttle body. Also, used aviation gasket prep, and it has not leaked in two years.

My bottom surface was rounded, and after resurfacing there was quite more contact surface for the gasket.

Old 05-05-2020, 12:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 948 Likes on 637 Posts

I'm in the same boat as Best. I've bypassed them on both discos I've had. Driven in everything from 100 degree plus weather to around negative 15 degrees. I have never had an issue.

Icing is a problem on carburetors because the fuel coming through cools off the air charge that much more. There is no fuel through the throttle body too cool the charge any so it won't freeze.

Originally Posted by Best4x4
It will NOT effect you unless for some reason we wake up to the movie "The Day After Tomorrow" and if so the TBH is the least of your worries.

I've gone over this in great detail, but the throttle body is mounted high in the engine bay, heat rises (right off the exhaust manifold for starters not even counting the heat soaked up thru the intake itself). I have seen 2 TB's stick and had absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact the TBH's were bypassed. The throttle body plate itself and the housing was the cause. Cleaned both with a scotchbrite pad & they no longer stuck open.

I put the TB freezing up there with seeing Elvis, an alien, winning the 75,000,000,000,000.00 powerball, or finding Jimmy Hoffa.

All the reports on here NEVER documented a single thing. Just said oh it stuck & I nearly died... That is not enough proof for me. I've seen em stick from being dirty or a bad throttle cable.

Remove it and be done with it unless you drive in The Day After Tomorrow type conditions. Heck I even removed it from my 3.9L 95 D1.

Old 05-05-2020, 01:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 419 Likes on 267 Posts

Alrighty. I’ll attempt a bypass. What’s my Home Depot shopping list?

Old 05-05-2020, 01:16 PM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

Mine has been bypsssed since I got my 03
i live in Canada and winters on average are around -10 Celsius to 5 Celsius most days

the only time I notice the throttle not returning fully and you let your foot of the gas and you feel like it’s not slowing down is when it’s around -20 Celsius and snowing

I felt it a couple times last winter but I just hit the gas or put my foot under the pedal and pull just a bit. It’s a non issue for me but I can see it being a problem if it’s constant in the -20 range

Old 05-05-2020, 02:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 948 Likes on 637 Posts

Should just need a couple hose clamps and a brass Barb coupler. Can't remember the size off hand. 5/16” or 3/8”?

Old 05-05-2020, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

You'd be amazed if you just remove the throttle body plate itself and either use some 1,000 grit fine sandpaper or a scotchbrite pad on the outer edge of the throttle body plate itself. Then while that is out run the scotchbrite inside the throttle body itself to remove the line created over time where the plate usually rest. Then re-assemble it and it shouldn't have any reason to stick.

The spring tension on that TB assembly is no slouch either. I'll believe something if it's well documented and proven, but the 3-4 stories I've read about the TB sticking = do not make me a believer as there are so many variables to take into account. Did it look like the TB below??

If so I'd blame the nasty TB before I would blame the bypassed TBH!!!

JUKE179r (05-06-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 04:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 831 Likes on 605 Posts

Sigh.
  1. Remove the hoses from the throttle bottle heater.
  2. Stick a couple of small bolts in the hoses. Or even wooden dowels. Or anything else to plug the lines. Golf tees? Twigs from a tree or shrub in your yard?
  3. Secure the bolts or dowels or whatever you used to plug the lines with a couple of small hose clamps.
  4. Done
The ONLY thing the lines to and from the TBH serves is the TBH. There is NO REASON to install anything to "loop" the lines.

Davis31052 (05-07-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

I ran it back to the reservoir to have a flow line vs two dead ends that will over time collect debris. It doesn't matter which way you do it as long as you DO IT lol.

Quick Reply: End of my rope with the throttle body heater leaking.