Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine bay wash, problems.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default engine bay wash, problems.

Okay, I just washed and armor all'd the inside of my engine compartment. The wash went fine, truck started back up immediately, no problems. When I armor all'd it, it wouldn't crank, sounded like a vac leak. Traced down the vac leak to the large rubberhose on the top of the intake plenum. I'm guessing that I pulled it out wiping down the hose. should this hose come outof the intake that easily?[sm=wtf.gif] There's a clamp on the rubber hose, but the rubber hose and coupler came out of the aluminum plenum. A pressure wash would easily have knocked this hose out and possibly let water in the intake.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: engine bay wash, problems.

You NEVER, NEVER use any treatment on your engine other then a degreaser or power srcubing it, otherwise you can screw up any and all electrical connections.
All I can tell you is good luck, if you went back and did a really H.D. power scrub, you might get some of the crap off your engine, Maybe.
Also, for the force of the washer to blow off the intake tube, it would have had to have been way to loose to start with. I have power scrubbed my engine at least once a month for the last six years and never had anything come loose or had any starting problems.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe the end of the rubber hose absorbed some of that armor-all around it at the connection when you sprayed it on there. That would make it pop off easily for sure.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah don't use armor all on your engine compartment. It makes the rubber soft and weakens its structure. I've bought cars with this crap put on there and you can tell the rubber is affected. A good power wash is all that's needed. I don't even use armor all on my interior either. If you then get the plastic wet you'll notice it stains the plastic parts if they have been previously armor-all'don some cars. Most owners manuals tell you to use a very mild soap solution only on a damp cloth.

I'm glad to hear someone one here has power washed their engine. I like to do mine but I've not done the Disco yet as I wasn't sure how the electronics would hold up. I only do my Acura about twice a year and it stays clean. Makes working on it much easier.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:41 PM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: jkid

Maybe the end of the rubber hose absorbed some of that armor-all around it at the connection when you sprayed it on there. That would make it pop off easily for sure.
Yup! A guy at work armor-all'd his Explorer and after that his vacuum hoses kept popping off!

Old 12-11-2007, 10:50 PM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: mordor110

Yeah don't use armor all on your engine compartment. It makes the rubber soft and weakens its structure. I've bought cars with this crap put on there and you can tell the rubber is affected.
I agree.. Had a shop detail the truck once, as a repeat they "went ahead and did the engine for me" and a few months later I was replacing bunch of rubber. Those hoses are not cheap either.. check online

Old 12-11-2007, 11:45 PM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

I have power scrubbed my engine at least once a month for the last six years and never had anything come loose or had any starting problems.
When is say "powerscrub", what do you mean??

Old 12-12-2007, 04:30 AM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: johnnybob06

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

I have power scrubbed my engine at least once a month for the last six years and never had anything come loose or had any starting problems.
When is say "powerscrub", what do you mean??

I'm pretty sure he's talking about a pressure washer.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree the armor all would make the rubber hose pop off of the fitting easier, but if you read my first post the fitting came out of the ALUMINUM INTAKE PLENUM. The rubber hose was still attached to the fitting. And let me re-phrase, i armor alled' the rubber parts onlybecause the engine degreaser will eventually dryout any kind of rubber material making it brittle(from what the manufacturer told me), mainly radiator hoses and plastic covers. I guess i'll be looking for a different engine cleaner. In the meantime This hose is a big problem i'm guessing? Any suggestions on how to fix this coupler.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:00 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If you stay on top off keeping your engine clean, you only have to degrease it with the first wash, have that it is a walk in the part and after 6 years I haven't seen one hose get dry rot.

Quick Reply: engine bay wash, problems.