Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine blew up without warning - what are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2023, 11:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 119 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by jthuntz
Hey I am new to this forum. I also have a blown engine with no warning - looking for help in the Atlanta, Ga area. Supercharger over-boosted - which has lead to oil leak, timing chain loose. Recommended work is: replace engine and supercharger, catalytic converters as well. They say repair with a new engine is more than car is worth. Can a used engine be an option and does anyone have recommendations for a shop in or around the Atlanta area.
You might try the LR4 forums for a better answer. If you can do the work yourself, it'll be far more worth it to swap for a used motor/rebuild.

Old 03-17-2023, 11:16 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 97 Posts

Nice find. Maybe a unicorn to find a P38 engine that you can test drive first! Low miles, maybe just drop it in and go!

Old 03-17-2023, 01:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by dswilly
Nice find. Maybe a unicorn to find a P38 engine that you can test drive first! Low miles, maybe just drop it in and go!
It needs at least a new valley gasket and new valve cover gaskets. It is heavily leaking from the valve covers.

Old 03-17-2023, 05:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,462 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Originally Posted by Discorama
It needs at least a new valley gasket and new valve cover gaskets. It is heavily leaking from the valve covers.
That is undoubtedly from the plugged valve cover baffle.

Old 03-17-2023, 05:59 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by jthuntz
Hey I am new to this forum. I also have a blown engine with no warning - looking for help in the Atlanta, Ga area. Supercharger over-boosted - which has lead to oil leak, timing chain loose. Recommended work is: replace engine and supercharger, catalytic converters as well. They say repair with a new engine is more than car is worth. Can a used engine be an option and does anyone have recommendations for a shop in or around the Atlanta area.
Call Eurover in Greenville SC and speak to them about it. Personally I would look for a low mile Jag XF that has been wrecked and get the engine.

Old 03-17-2023, 10:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I removed everything from the P38 block that I don't need, but how do I get the damn SAI pipes off. When I turn the nut the tube in the head turns as well. I am trying to clamp the tube with a vice grip, but it slips. Heat the nut up?

Old 03-18-2023, 05:58 AM
Camel Trophy

If you look closely at the tube you will there are wrench flats on it, you have to hold it with a wrench.

Old 03-18-2023, 09:27 AM
Mudding
Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
If you look closely at the tube you will there are wrench flats on it, you have to hold it with a wrench.
A 17mm wrench will do if I remeber right, from yesterday..

Noticed that there is an allen key slot inside the tube when you take that nut/pipe off. Did not check the size tho.
Going to replace those pipes witth plain bolt on mine.

Old 03-18-2023, 09:38 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andino
You might try the LR4 forums for a better answer. If you can do the work yourself, it'll be far more worth it to swap for a used motor/rebuild.
andino

thank you for replying, unfortunately I am 50 year old stay at home mom so i don't even know where to start to rebuild by myself. I am on the LR4 thread and hoping to find some help there. Maybe I can find someone willing to help me do it myself. I haven't given up hope yet.

jthuntz
LR4 HSE 2014

Old 03-18-2023, 11:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Extinct
Mine are different, they have no wrench flats. I have the ones on the left. Found this picture on the Internet:

Quick Reply: Engine blew up without warning - what are my options?