Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine cut out

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 12:29 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine cut out

I was in traffic the other day and I gunned it to get around a houseboat (on an 18 wheeler). When I did that, the engine cut out for a second but then went back to normal. Shortly after that, the Check engine light came on, along with the low fuel warning (it was low). I slowed down and took it easy and filled it up shortly after. I looked under the hood and didn't see anything obvious. It drives normal now, but I haven't had the codes checked. It is a 2000 Disco II. Could it have just gotten some air in the fuel system? Any help would be apprciated. I do have a K&N air filter. Could that have anything to do with it?

Old 02-22-2007, 10:41 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: engine cut out

Have the codes checked, it should tell you everything.
And yes it could have got air in the gas line if you were that low.
If the codes are fuel related you can sleep better.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:28 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

When you get the codes read, get back to us and let us know what fault code numbers you have.
Also don't drive with your tank that low, you will burn up that $300 fuel pump real easy.
Mike

Old 02-23-2007, 12:36 AM
Drifting

I actually did a small test. I had it running and pulled a little on the throttle linkage and unplugged the mass airflow meter and pulled on the throttle again, and it was exactly the same. Does this mean the sensor is dead and it is running open loop? I will get the codes read soon, though. (Remember, I live in Montgomery, and there arn't many places that service Land Rovers around.)

Old 02-23-2007, 02:31 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just a tip, if you have an Autozone, they will read the codes for free. They just start the truck, plug it in, and tell you what the codes are in the store. Also if they have the parts to fix them.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:33 PM
Drifting

I got the codes read at the local Advance Auto Parts (after trying Auto Zone). They are as follows:

P1884- Manufacturer Contrl Transmission
P0102- MAF or VAFA Circuit Low Input

Could that have been caused by the K&N air filter? I am going to order a new mass air flow meter and a supply of stock air filters. Any other suggestions. Thanks for the tip about the auto parts places to get the codes read. Thanks for all your help.

Old 02-25-2007, 03:07 AM
Three Wheeling

Yea I am sure the K&N did it that is the same thing that happened to my rover when I put one on it. I had the K&N on it for less than a week and everything was fine and I went to pass a vehicle the rover geareddown and then paused a little or sputtered and then check engine came on. Well I put a new mass air on it and reset the check enginelight and I figured while the mass air was under warrany I will attempt to use the K&N I read you can reset the computer by unpluggingthe battery for a few mins then hook the battery back upand let the vehicle idle for about 10-15 mins to learn the mass air flowwith the K&N on it and so far mine has lasted about 6 months still running the K&N no more problems.