Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Immobilization or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 04:05 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Immobilization or something else?

I read the sticky on engine immobilization. Would like to know if my current problem is related to the immobilizer. Car wouldn't start (2000 Disco II), had to have it towed to garage, the garage was busy so wasn't able to get to the car for a week. When my Disco was scheduled to be checked out it started right up, no check engine light and ran fine. About 300 miles latter with my daughter driving same thing happened, (Actually at the same Giant Eagle parking lot) When I tried to start it all the lights flashed and the starter pulsated. I did try both the key fob and key in lock and did stop the lights flashing but still wouldn't start. Again towed it to garage and when they went to check it out it, a week later, started right up, again no check engine light and runs great. Is this something to do with the engine immobilization or something else?

Old 01-17-2013, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

A Disco engine that runs, drives to a location, then after a brief stop, no crank. One thing that does this is the crank position sensor. When it fails by the extra engine block temp, it cools off and connections work again. With no CKP working, no spark is generated. You can speed up the "cool down" by pouring cold water on it. About a $70 sensor.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:44 PM
Drifting

It just happened again. Car drove to local High School, about 10 miles away, then wouldn't start after practice. It is was 8 degrees outside. I went back 3 days later and car would still not start. Had to use jumper cables but it turned over easily with the cables. The last two times this has happened it started after being flat bedded to the garage and sat for about a week. The engine cranks fine but does not start. I even tried to spray starter fluid into the air intake but again it just cranked with not even a sputtered of an attempt to start. I spoke to my mechanic, who works on alot of Land Rovers, and he has no ideas.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:25 PM
Mudding

Crank sen. Buy spraying quick start you took fuel out of the pic a bad crank sen = no spark.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Put a spark plug on one of the plug wires, lay on manifold, check for sparks. Don't let GF or SWMBO hold plug while testing.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:55 PM
Mudding

I thought you get extra credit if g/f holds it. Lol

Old 01-27-2013, 11:39 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Giant Eagle is Pittsburgh.
Pittsburgh is road salt
and massive pot holes.

Check the battery terminals.
Clean them.

Check the main battery ground wires at the frame.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:41 PM
Drifting

Would a bad crank sensor work sometimes and not other? What could cause it to start then not start and then after a tow and a weeks rest start and run great, (No check engine light nothing) I have an extra crank sensor from a previous engine, same year and model, does the sensor need to be updated to match the engine management system through test book or is it replace and go? Thanks for all your help, this is my second land rover and I've had it for about 8 years but it has only run for about 5 or those years.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe an intermittent fuel pump or relay?

Although I guess it's possible, I don't see the crank sensor (it's just a coil of wire) being intermittent.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Drifting

Would anything be intermittent and not induce a code or check engine light when it enabled the engine to start? Yes this is a Pittsburgh Rover, actually Greensburg area.

Quick Reply: Engine Immobilization or something else?