Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Knocking, Pinging on Acceleration in 2004 Land Rover Discovery II

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 03:01 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Knocking, Pinging on Acceleration in 2004 Land Rover Discovery II

I posted this question on another forum but just thought I would see if others had the same expereience....

My Oringal Post

A knocking/pinging just developed on my 2004 Land Rover Discovery II. When under a load it almost sounds like a clicking noise and feels like it has reduced power. Its about as fast as a baseball card in your bicycle when you were a kid and increases with RPM when under a load. It doesn't do it while idling (or it's not noticeable). Any ideas or similar problems anyone else has been having? The truck has 80,000 miles and hasn't had any sensor lights on or failures. However, when checking the oil I noticed it was about a quart low but haven't noticed any leaks.

Another User Reply:

So you are saying you haven't has the service engine light on, what octane gas are you using and when was it last tuned along with new 8 mm silicone plug wires?

My Reply:

No, the service light has not been on. I fill up with 93 octane. The plug wires were replaced at 55,000 miles. Thanks so much for responding and in advance for any insight.

Another User Reply:

When you turn your key to the second position, does the service engine light even come on? You have to have some fault codes showing if it is running as bad as you say it is.

My Reply:

Yes, the check engine light has been coming on when the key is in the 2nd position along with all the other system lights. I just ran some Sea-foam through the intake and the light came on and stayed on for a short drive this morning (which I think is normal for some cars after the procedure). I figured is was just the o2 sensors, but I download the errors anyway out of curiosity and it does now have 2 detonation errors in chambers and misc., random other detonation errors.

Anyone have the same experiences or any advice on next steps. I'm assuming I need to replace my sparks or take it in to see what's really going on. I just hope I don't have a cylinder (or two) dropped.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:42 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

It is pretty much impossible to have your engine sound that bad without codes.
If you want, send me your number and I'll call you.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Sounds like bad knock sensors.
EDIT:Unless your gas station is screwing you over and you are actually getting 87 octane instead of 93 octane.
Try switching brands of gas and avoid the cheap gas stations and especially avoid gas from Costco and Sam's Club.