Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine oil flow questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 06:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Engine oil flow questions

So you had the heads and valves rebuilt? The timing is correct? The timing chain is good? Fuel injectors are good?
I am at a loss, sorry.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for the confusion. I have not had the beads rebuilt yet, I am trying to find someone local here who is willing to do it. Ihave a feeling I will learn a lot more when I pull the heads off and see whatis going on in there.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You might want to give me a call.
303-862-7680
Colorado any dfay before 8 pm

Old 04-08-2008, 06:40 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: handsome rob

OK, I have been trying to still figure this one out. In an effoert to try to avoid having to redo the heads I though a good induction cleaning would be in store. I did the Seafoam induction cleaning as per what I have found here and how Disco Mike said to so it. I also put some in the fuel along with a new fuel filter. I also put in new O2 sensors. It ran like crap afterwards and then sent searching other places for issues. Mike said to do a compression test and so I did. When I took out the fairly new plugs I noticed three that had a ton of carbon build up on them.

COmpression came out between 160-165 per cylinder. I replaced all the plugs and wires. I had a bad connection at the cap from the coil that I fixed with a new cap rotorand lead wire. Started it up and it ran much better, thought I was in the clear, still had valve noise but it calmed down a little. Took it on the freeway to check it all is OK and then it got even worse.

It feels as though it is only running on 4 cylinders. I can smell a bunch of fuel in the exhaust and there is no power when it comes to climbing a hill or even getting on the freeway. I figure I better take off the oil pan and check the pick up tube of the oil pump, eventhough I have had an oil pressure check that turned out to be normal.

I am now thinking that my heads are FUBAR'd so much that oil is not getting up there and I have frozen valves thus causing the massive headache the truck is becoming. If anyone thinks I am off base here let me know I am about to run this into a wall.

What type of wires did you use? A few weeks back I changed my plugs/wires/cap & rotor. The wires, cap & rotor I had bought last may (2007) and it was before I had read about the Magnecors on here. Anyway they were cheap-ish wires (Denso @ $36 set) and I drove about 20 miles on them, my truck started running like yours did as mentioned above. I'm guessing the heat from the hot rover motor (80°f day)caused them to break down. Anyway I nursed it home and put the old cap/rotor & wires back on, it started running just fine again, and has ran fine since then. I plan on ordering a set of Magnecors for it next. But it's just something to consider if you used cheaper wires?

Old 04-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wires are cheaper units from Autozone, I will up grade those this week. I spoke to Disco Mike and it soinds like I may have an issue in the coil. I am away on a work trip now so when I get back tomorrow I will have the new wires and coil and see what I get.

Thanks for all the help.