Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine rebuild... my turn to have fun!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default not yet..

Originally Posted by SDinDS
Got an update yet?

Sorry, i have been swamped this week... will be droping off my heads monday . Was trying to get the block pulled today but started raining... got the raditor out and ready to undo the last 14 bolts and take out . Will do in the morning. I will email chingo again today and see if i get a reply. I am having all my engine parts hot tanked and bead blasted as it might as well look nice. Will be changing out all bearings and seals and deglasing cylinders and new rings. i also found after taking out raditor that my PAS lines are all rusted and it's also leaking somewhere aound the pump. I think the hoses are bad. more fun..... just to let you know you check the transmission fluid level threw the filler bolt. check the rave. Yes , it's a pain in the ***.. Also , what ever fu$ck nut rebuilt this motor siezed the starter motor bolts on...i could not break them out. Will be pulling the motor with the starter on and most likely cutting wheel and retap new ones....FPS.....I really have alot of better things i could be doing with my life than work on this POS....I'm a idiot

Last edited by vandev; 08-08-2010 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vandev
I really have alot of better things i could be doing with my life than work on this POS....I'm a idiot
But just think of the rewards.... you will have a Disco that you "shouldn't" have to worry about for some time!
I cleaned out the oil pan today. No milky white sludge, looked normal. Also put the freeze plug in. Sure would be nice to have an air conditioned garage!!

Eric

Old 08-08-2010, 07:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default not really..

But just think of the rewards.... you will have a Disco that you "shouldn't" have to worry about for some time!
I cleaned out the oil pan today. No milky white sludge, looked normal. Also put the freeze plug in. Sure would be nice to have an air conditioned garage!!

Eric

not really..ask me when have enough money to own a defender so i can enjoy pushing this one off a cliff...oh, lucky your not in florida like me in august..was 97 yesterday.....

Old 08-08-2010, 08:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default here are some pics from his profile..

i found these public pics showing the head bolts being preped..intresting stuff.. i am about 99% sold...

http://www.landroverworld.org/galler...p?i=1210&c=500

Old 08-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Winching

Nice pics. That looks more like permatex that he's applying beneath the bolt head. I still have my doubts about teflon tape on the bolts and how that might affect torque readings. Maybe a thin coating of teflon paste?

Eric

Old 08-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default no real difference

Nice pics. That looks more like permatex that he's applying beneath the bolt head. I still have my doubts about teflon tape on the bolts and how that might affect torque readings. Maybe a thin coating of teflon paste?

Eric

I wrapped a head bolt with teflon tape like he suggests and threaded it in the block as well as one wth oil just to see if i could feel any difference...well...i couldnt notice a difference .......well...just oil leaking out like he says....and as far as i can read threw the forums he has not had a hicupo with his motor. I take his advice as he is a engineer and from readying threw his other posts, he seems much more qualified that the Fu$cking idiots who wrote the book or there would not be this issue ..would there....

Old 08-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Winching

Had to place a last minute order thru AB. (Rave says I can't re-use valve cover bolts) and also need to replace some cracked coolant hoses. Ready to put it back together this weekend.... weather permitting. I'm thinking that after the final torque, I'll take bolts 1,3,5 an extra 90 degree turn and that should make it uniform (or close to it). Still debating on the Teflon tape......

Eric

Old 08-11-2010, 10:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default sounds great

i sent him a private message but have gotten no response... He hasnt been on the forums since he made that post so i dont know. i asked a couple of engine builders and they said it shouldnt make a difference with the teflon tape as well they thought it was a pretty good idea. they also said using non strech studs was a pretty bad idea...they do use at RPI but with flanged liners....big difference.... i am going with the teflon tape...I mean really...how much worse could this POS get....

Old 08-12-2010, 05:55 AM
Winching

Just hate to go thru this all over again. But I think I will do the Teflon tape.

Eric

Old 08-12-2010, 06:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default i know

Just hate to go thru this all over again. But I think I will do the Teflon tape.

Eric

i know...its your engine...its up to you....go ahead and try threading one so you can feel for your self...thats what i did..

Quick Reply: Engine rebuild... my turn to have fun!!