Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine shuts off when I hit a bump

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 07:49 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine shuts off when I hit a bump

Hey all,
I'm new to this forum but have been peeping on it for the past 3-4 months for different issues I've had. I haven't been able to find any info on my current issue so I finally registered and am in need of help....

So last week while driving home I hit a bump in the road and the engine shut off. I towed it home and after about an hour I went back out and it started fine and I've driven it for the past week with no issues. Today the same thing happened about 100 ft from my house and I am currently sitting in my house waiting for 20-30 minutes to go by so I can go get it the rest of the way into the driveway (it coasted up onto the sidewalk. Any ideas?

I have tried pushing the button on the passengers use firewall it was already depressed. I'm thinking it's not the fuel pump as it happens only when I hit bumps. But other than that I have no idea.

2000 disco 2

Old 05-23-2016, 08:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Random stuff like that is often electrical related. Can you check the big fat wires coming to and from the battery. Also is the battery clamped down properly. If it's bouncing up and down....

Are there any fault codes showing up along with a dashboard light?

Getting a fault to reoccur can be the hardest part of diagnosing something. If you have a reliable bump 100ft from the house could be handy to test things out.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Josi
Hey all,
I'm new to this forum but have been peeping on it for the past 3-4 months for different issues I've had. I haven't been able to find any info on my current issue so I finally registered and am in need of help....

So last week while driving home I hit a bump in the road and the engine shut off. I towed it home and after about an hour I went back out and it started fine and I've driven it for the past week with no issues. Today the same thing happened about 100 ft from my house and I am currently sitting in my house waiting for 20-30 minutes to go by so I can go get it the rest of the way into the driveway (it coasted up onto the sidewalk. Any ideas?

I have tried pushing the button on the passengers use firewall it was already depressed. I'm thinking it's not the fuel pump as it happens only when I hit bumps. But other than that I have no idea.

2000 disco 2
It has to be electrical. I'm scratching my head. Thinking. Does the engine stop immediately when you hit the bump or later down the road? Do you lose all electrical? When you say it doesn't start, does it turn over? Do you smell gas?

Last edited by Charlie_V; 05-23-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

Could it be a bad inertia switch? I'm not even sure if those go bad, but the way you say it just shuts off, that's my first guess.

Definitely need more details for a better diagnosis.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:19 PM
4th Gear

No dash indicator lights. Stalls immediately. Turns over fine. I'm leaning inertia switch or crankshaft position sensor. Popped the hood and all connections are solid. Went out after 30 minutes and it fired right up. Anybody had this issue?

Old 05-23-2016, 10:20 PM
4th Gear

No fault codes either.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

I don't think the CKP would be the issue if it's caused by a bump unless there's a grounding issue. Will it only do it engine warm or even when the engine is still cold?

Try to make the truck do it again. When it does, make sure it won't restart. If it won't then pour some water down over the CKP to cool it off and try to start it again. If it starts then there is your problem. If not then I would try replacing the inertia switch.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:56 PM
4th Gear

Will do. Thanks for the guidance Alex_M. I'll report back in a couple of days. I'm a Firefighter and will be at work for the next couple.