Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Swap Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 07:36 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Engine Swap Questions

I am new to this forum (and forums in general) so sorry if I mess something up. I joined because I wanted to see if anyone has ever considered swapping in an Isuzu 2.2se 4 cylinder diesel engine or if it would even be possible. When I researched this I found that my OEM 4.0 engine produces 180 +/- HP and the engine I referenced above produces 190 +/-. I am unsure of the torque comparison. This reason I thought about this particular engine swap is because you can get them fairly cheap, they get great gas mileage compared to the OEM (20+ in the city and high 20's on the highway), and it would be easier to work on and get parts locally for in Texas. Also I read somewhere on one of the old posts that a 4 or 5 cylinder diesel engine swap would be better compared to a Chevy 350 if you are looking for low end torque and better gas mileage. I don't really care about quick takeoff and acceleration as I am used to driving a Ford F-350 with a 7.3L diesel engine. Anyway any thoughts would be appreciated. Oh BTW I don't have my signature set up yet so here are the specs on my disco. I have a 1996 Land Rover Discovery with the 4.0L Engine with roughly 150,000 miles. Ya'll have a great day!

Old 03-23-2010, 06:10 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is that the engine you find in the isuzu mpr box trucks? yes, it works well i've heard. it seems the range rover classic guys like that swap. my boyfriends getting ready to do that with a bmw 524 diesel engine which works just a bit better. do some searching on google, there's some info out there.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:21 AM
Winching

Great. Thanks. I will take a look at the BMW 524.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Anything is possible.
If you want to make it even easier then buy a LR 200tdi or a 300tdi, then it is just a bolt in swap.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Winching

I had considered that but from what I have read I was under the impression that the LR diesels don't do as well with gas mileage which is one of the things I hope to achieve with a swap. Any thoughts?

Old 03-24-2010, 06:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I dont know about the 200 & 300 tdi's.
But Urban Panzer who lives in the UK has a DII with a TD5 and he gets 28+ highway.
Exact same truck as whats sold in the US only with a LR turbo diesel and the steering wheel is on the wrong side.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Mudding

If you are going to do a swap that is not from a LR then go with a 4bt Cummins out of a bread truck. They are easy to get and not too expensive, plus you will get WAYYY better mpg, hp, and torque numbers out of it than you will ever get out of any of the European oil burners. Not to mention that they are much more reliable.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:59 PM
Winching

Thanks guys. Great info. Exactly what I was looking for. Hey Greenwade if I was to use the 4bt Cummins what would I need as far as accessories for the swap? I assume I will need a plate for the tranny should I just try to get a setup with everything from the radiator back or is there anything useable on the disco now? Sorry to keep dragging this on its just you guys are way more knowledgeable than I am about this stuff. I have never really modified anything like this. Thanks for your help and time.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:25 AM
Mudding

Depends on what you do to the Cummins. If you leave it stock you might be able to get away with a stock drive train, as long as you didn't give it too much skinny peddle. I would honestly just go with a stronger tran, NV series work great behind the cummins and are bullet proof. Its easy to see north of 400 ft lbs from even the small cummins so i would say go with a different tranni and xfer case. You could try using the LR stuff but you will be spending just as much if not more on adapters for items that will break on you. Let me know if you decide to go the cummins route.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:26 AM
Rock Crawling

Just wanted to add that the 4BT is capable of upwards of 600 HP at the ground and is huge and heavy (something like 900#). Most of those bread trucks had a TH400 behind the C so transfer cases are readily available. My question is how much axle are you going to swap into the truck to carry the weight and handle all that torque?

Quick Reply: Engine Swap Questions