Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine temps

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

It wont hurt, unless your thermostat gets plugged up.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Savannah, just replaced the t-stat about three weeks ago so it better not be plugged up already! Should have done the flush and clean when that was replaced...

Old 05-29-2012, 10:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that radiator flush will not only flush the radiator but will probably make the flow of coolant in the whole system better. Radiator is not the only place that can plug up.
I am also seing higher temps recenty mostly still bellow 103 when driving, but idling it went up to 121. I must say that I never let the car idle for too long in the past but recently with my newborn in the car and hot weather outside, I had to run the engine and AC. What I noted that the AC was raising the RPM by around 150 and that when I turned off the AC, the temps went down to 112-115 range.
I am wondering fro how long you could leave the radiator flush in without causing any damage? I am also planning on changing my thermostat to the soft spring one.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:58 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to see what your results are with a radiator flush too.

The wife reported temp gauge coming up right below the red...coolant flush and system burp was on the agenda for the weekend, but I may have to push that up now.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

IMHO you extra hot will be more than just a flush. Need to park it until it can be worked on to prevent possible larger problems. Check viscous fan clutch.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:06 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NT_RoverII
I'd like to see what your results are with a radiator flush too.

The wife reported temp gauge coming up right below the red...coolant flush and system burp was on the agenda for the weekend, but I may have to push that up now.
Ditto what Savanna said, do not drive it until you look at it. That gauge in the dash is an idiot light gauge, if it is reading that high you engine is running at around 230ish F. If you keep running it like that your best case scenario is having to replace the head gasket.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:42 AM
Mudding
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

using an Ultrgauge as well my temps were 194-197 on the highway and then 203-220 city driving or at a stop. Put in a new thermostat, new water pump, flushed radiator and switched from Dexcool to green stuff: temps did not really budge. Clutch fan did not seem too bad but I had planned on doing it anyway except AB sent one for a D1 and not a D2, so I did not want to use it as the original one was good enough for the time being.

Finally put in the new clutch fan 5 months later and the temps dropped right down, now running the same on the highway, but 197-208 in the city.

I have also noticed that the hotter it is outside, the cooler the temp readings are, that is, when it is 90° F outside it tends to stay down to the lower end of the range in city driving and when it is 70° F or less it tends to hover in the higher end of the city driving range. Maybe that has to do with the clutch fan liquid and how it works?????

Last edited by catman; 05-30-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:12 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by bballjames
Thanks Mike. I also noticed my air intake is pretty high. Like around 140F - 170F. I popped the hood and noticed the air intake hose is pretty rotted and also not attached anymore. Could this also be a cause to the high engine temps?
My intake connection started to rot like your, and being cheap, i wrapped it with duct tape, a year or so ago and it has been fine ever since.
The engine will run slightly better with this not leaking bit not by alot.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are these temps about the same range you want in a D1 as well? I have been freaking out recently when my truck gets to 100 celsius in stop and go traffic around atlanta, but from what I am reading in this post that is not really outside the normal range? Of course I have reached this temp with no a/c so maybe I do need to consider getting my radiator serviced?

Last edited by filbs; 05-30-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
My intake connection started to rot like your, and being cheap, i wrapped it with duct tape, a year or so ago and it has been fine ever since.
The engine will run slightly better with this not leaking bit not by alot.
Thanks Mike. I was having the same idea, but wasn't sure how the duck tape would hold up. Thanks for letting me know. I will get some duck tape on that and get some nuts to re-attach the intake to the body.

I also have noticed when it is colder outside, the engine runs hotter than when it is warmer outside. When I come to work in the AM it is about 60F and when I am in stop and go traffic it usually sits at about 205-208. When I pull into the parking lot and sit there for a minute it raises to 212, but never goes above that. Then later in the day when it is warmer, engine temps in stop and go seem to be 203-206 and never go above 208 when sitting for an extended period of time. Interesting

Quick Reply: engine temps