Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine tick so confused

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 01:10 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine tick so confused

sorry for starting another thread, but i'm having trouble finding info via search-

My 01 DII SE makes a squeaky tick, but only when the vehicle is under load and then it's not all the time

there is no noise at idle and without moving the truck you have to hit the pedal and get the motor up to 4k to hear it.

my questions:
1. do 01's have issues with slipping sleeves?
2. could this be air in the trans cooler lines?

thanks guys

Old 01-20-2012, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

At 4000 rpm how the heck can you hear anything???

1. Transmission has a sump at the bottom (the pan) so bubbles (foaming) in tranny cooling lines would only happen with very low fluid level, and does not seem like that would be a tick source.

2. The normal tick sources for D2s are (in no order of anything):

A. Oil pump cracked
B. Flex plate cracked (4000 rpm might make that show up)
C. SAI system related
D. Sleeve (once it starts ticking, seems like those would not be so engine speed dependent)

This squeak would not be considered a "chirp" of the front propshaft about to split and impale transmission? Greased shaft recently, and/or rebuilt?

Might be related to something turned by the serpantine belt. You can listen to each via long screw driver or stick and perhaps hear something that is not loud outside at idle, but when revved up becomes much more noticable.

Consider watching this gauge when you are driving at 4000 rpm....

Attached Thumbnails Engine tick so confused-fuel-guage.jpg  
Old 01-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Three Wheeling

Buzz, thanks for the insight... today i removed the acc. belt hoping to find it would be just a pulley...

the rover gods have not blessed me with a bad pulley, so the hunt continues...

i'm going to pull the pan and check the flex plate tonight.

going through the rave, it says to take the trans cooler line out... my question now is:

is there any chance of trans fluid and oil mixing via failure in a cooler?

Old 01-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Three Wheeling

also, i dont think it's prop shafts bc it makes the noise when stationary and it's engine speed dependent

Old 01-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

In a D2, the oil cooler and transmission cooler are physically two separate units. D2's after a certain VIN are not equipped with oil cooler as basic item. These are stacked between radiator and AC condesner. In a D1, the radiator for an automatic has an oil cooler on the battery side and a transmission cooler on the driver side (NAS), all in thw hot water together.

I'd still think you might want to listen to things while they are turned by the belt, via screwdriver or stick. You may hear a bearing that just hasn't gotten loud enough at idle.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Help!!

i took the belt off and drove down and up the driveway... noise still there...

i dropped the pan... flex plate is fine, looks new. the rod bearings all seem fine, cam bearings dont seem to have wandered no unsual looking wear on the cam but...

HELP!!!!! attached is a picture of two identical pcs i found in the bottom of the oil pan

Attached Thumbnails Engine tick so confused-01202012325.jpg  
Old 01-20-2012, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

See other post

Old 01-20-2012, 09:09 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell I would be worried if I found those in my oil pan. People on this board have taken rovers apart numerous times someone MUST have seen these items.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

They look like a spacer used to support the oil pickup. Maybe the assembly line left a couple of extras in there. But seems like they would have come out in the oil drain at some point...

Old 01-25-2012, 06:05 PM
Three Wheeling

ok, i've drained the quakerstate horsepower 5w40 and replaced it with rotella triple T 15w40 in and installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge...

sound has become easier to excite and it makes once a (singular) squeak (noise) when starting- right at the moment it catches

oil gauge never reads under 40psi with the truck running hot/cold idle/2k

i pulled the pan and inspected conrods cam fplate

the only things i've found down below are .2mm axial (wrt crank) play in conrods at crank journels.

didn't see any cam bearings where they shouldnt be or abnormal wear on the cam

after the oil had fully drained and i was cranking it over by hand with the oil pan off I did hear a lot of air excaping past the piston rings- but i'd expect that given the circumstance...

I'm going to compression test the motor now... then if that's in spec i'll order the gaskets and pull the intake and valve covers to see what that will tell me...

also, i took some video of the noise... i'm going to edit it and try to get it posted by the weekend

thanks again guys for all your help- i have a bad feeling it's a slipped liner if that's even possible on an 01 d2

Quick Reply: Engine tick so confused