Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eratic temperature guage

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 09:06 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eratic temperature guage

The last couple of days have notice that my 97 Disco is acting up. My temperature gauge will shoot all the way to the red when driving at normal speeds. No indication the engine is overheating though. No smoke/steam from hood. No engine noise. No burning smells. The engine seems to be running just fine. The reading will show red hot for a while then just drop back to normal. Then shoot up again, etc...My fans are working and I have no lose of power and my A/C stays nice and cold.

What could be going on? Is my engine fine and it's just a faulty temperature gauge switch or sensor? Should I be worried about driving it?

Has anyone had this problem or can help me out?

Thanks,
Everett

Old 08-23-2007, 09:17 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Eratic temperature guage

EV,
Check the coolant level and possibly the head gasket is leaking. I am no expert but that recently happened to my 01 se II... I am still dealing with it

Old 08-23-2007, 10:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Check for leaks. Check coolant level and if they are ok, have your radiator checked for clogs. It is NOT GOOD to run a rover hot. If you feel a loss in power from being too hot you will feel it forever. It is very easy to lose a head gasket of drop a liner in these. Be very careful running hot. Mine just got through doing this and has been ok since I changed my T-stat, water pump and fan clutch. I knew my clutch was holding too much and it damaged the water pump. The T-stat was for fun.

It is cheap and easy, I would change the T-stat before checking the radiator, but be very careful and do not let it run hot.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:48 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You may have a t/stat that is failing. Whatever it is, quit driving it this morning till you can have it checked by a mechanic or you stand a chance of loosing the engine cause you guage may actually working!!!