Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this everything I'll need to convert my '99 DII to a CDL linkage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 06:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Is this everything I'll need to convert my '99 DII to a CDL linkage?

I just scored this on eBay:

Are there any other parts or modifications I'll need in addition to this?

Old 08-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like you don't have the nut that screws on the cdl nipple coming out of the transfer case. Also the rod that goes to the hi lo may need to be bent a little more and that little clip may not work you might want to pick up a little longer bolt and nut.

Some of the guys use a airplane part screwed on The hi lo rod instead of the piece that's there but i used exactly what you have.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why didn't you do your research before buying?

Old 08-13-2012, 08:35 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It maybe $1.50 worth of stuff its not a big deal 1 nut and 1 1.5 nut&bolt

Old 08-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Mudding

When I pulled my DI linkage from a salvage yard I kept the nut for the CDL nipple, just in case. Turned out the nut was already fitted to the nipple on mine so I ended up having an extra one. Everyone has their own opinions, but I used the rod end bearing method. It didn't require me to bend the H-L lever, and it shifts really smoothly.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FLDiscoII
"the rod end bearing method.
Can you elaborate on this please?

Old 08-13-2012, 10:44 PM
Mudding

I found an interesting take on the install on the LRO forum (Discovery 1 CDL into Discovery 2). Basically, if you trim some length off the H-L shifter linkage and screw on a rod end bearing, you can connect it to the T/case lever with a bolt/washers/nuts, and a little loctite, without having to bend the the shifter linkage. I'll admit, it probably took a little longer than bending method, but there wasn't any trial and error trying to get it lined up. It creates a 90-degree angle and the bearing enables a really smooth shift. I'm not saying that it's a better solution, just something different that worked really well for me.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by honda50r
Why didn't you do your research before buying?
Yeah, that's helpful.

I did check the 10 threads across 3 forums, but I wasn't sure if I found everything, so I'm asking. What's wrong with that?

On the rod end bearing... that sounds like a great idea, is the bearing spec in a thread over on LRO? I must've missed it.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:46 AM
Mudding

The rod end specs are on the second page of the thread. It even has a link to an amazon store that I bought mine from...$8 I think. The specs are 8mm x 1.25 with an bearing diameter of 5/16''. You'll also need a 3/16" bolt and 3 nuts/washers. Like the thread suggests, I used the nuts with the attached washers. The only trimming you'll need to do is taking a little length off the threaded end of the H-L lever. I can't take credit for the idea, but it definitely worked out well for me. Once you get into it and can see all the parts up close, it really starts to make a lot of sense.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
Yeah, that's helpful.

I did check the 10 threads across 3 forums, but I wasn't sure if I found everything, so I'm asking. What's wrong with that?

On the rod end bearing... that sounds like a great idea, is the bearing spec in a thread over on LRO? I must've missed it.
Not to insult your due diligence but you did make sure that your current t-case has the CDL nipple right?

Quick Reply: Is this everything I'll need to convert my '99 DII to a CDL linkage?