Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this everything I'll need to convert my '99 DII to a CDL linkage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 09:09 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
Not to insult your due diligence but you did make sure that your current t-case has the CDL nipple right?
Almost all 99s will have it without issue.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Almost all 99s will have it without issue.
This.

That said, I did check, and the nipple seems to be there. This is specifically why I stayed away from late 2001 - 2003 Discovery II's.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the arm that goes down that connects to the hi/lo lever will need to be bend up a bit to match - hint, prefab it up and call it by eye with the bends, just dont bend it to extreme of an angle, or when you go to shift from hi to low, it will simply bend the rod and NO change. Woudl really suck to get stuck in lo one day, or even worse, have it pop out and not be able to get out of neutral because the bars to weak or bent at a bad angle!

about that piece though, i cant tell from your picture, but you will also need a bolt, 2 washers and a bolt to connect it to the hi/lo connector. the bolt that fit that stock is too wide to fit where the pin goes on the non cdl shifter. I dont have the sizes, but another member of this forum came to my rescue and fabbed up 2 brass washers to support between the bolt and nut so that it all fit flush.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle

ps. also cant tell from that pic, but there is a flat piece with a hole in the center that snaps onto the lock lever on the cdl, youll need that too if its not on there... or it wont grab the piece to spin it to lock/unlock the cdl

Old 08-14-2012, 11:37 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by grandkodiak
ps. also cant tell from that pic, but there is a flat piece with a hole in the center that snaps onto the lock lever on the cdl, youll need that too if its not on there... or it wont grab the piece to spin it to lock/unlock the cdl
It's kind of hard to see in the picture, but that piece is there...it's swiveled in and under the lever.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Recovery Vehicle

should be good to go then other then whats mentioned. get a box of random rivits and a rivit gun if you dont have one to put the metal mounting plate back on, and a good saw to get through the ****er to make the hole bigger... and commit, once its cut, its garbage if you screw up, the old shifter wont go back on it. be prepared for a mild draft and noticible increase in road noise too. AND youll probably have to use a thread chaser or wire brush/pipe cleaners to clean the 4 main bolts that the housing goes into, there is bound to be tons of crud in them built up over the years, had to use a chaser on mine, the bolts would only go in about 1/4 depth before fouling on ****. lots of brake clean and scrubbing if you dont have the right one to use on those threads!

ooo almost forgot, youll have to remove the breather line mount (i think that thats what it was) to make room for the new shifter... I ended up removing the mount completely and zip tying the lines out of the way... just be carefull if they are brittle, especially while trying to manuever the damn thing down in there to mount, its a pain in the *** if you dont remove the trans shifter from line... but doable, i remember just spinning it and rocking it back and fourth with the entire plate pushed up, back and towards the steering wheel, there was just enough play to make the clearance big enough.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

OK, with the pics in the LRO thread I see now. Thanks, looks like as good of idea as any.

Discovery 1 CDL into Discovery 2 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

Old 08-14-2012, 10:42 PM
Mudding

I guess if i had been thinking, I could've just linked in the thread myself...sorry about that. Like I said, I don't see it as a better solution, just an alternative. I went that route just to avoid having to bend up the lever.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Here are some pics from my install. I'm centexrover on the LRO forums.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...equired-49203/

Old 08-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Wow, thanks everyone! I posted this same question over on LRO, and got one reply. Think I've got a handle on where I'll be spending more of my time forum-wise!

One more thing that I haven't seen discussed, is body control module tuning options. Are there any tuning options to address the potential TC functionality interruption if I restart my Disco while the center diff is locked? Or should I make it a point to unlock before turning off/on the truck?

Quick Reply: Is this everything I'll need to convert my '99 DII to a CDL linkage?