Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust leak, rt manifold to upper pipe flange

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 06:14 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default exhaust leak, rt manifold to upper pipe flange

I have developed a slight exhaust leak at the point where the passenger side manifold attaches to the upper exhaust pipe; by slight it first only made a small noise (tut-tut-tut) when putting the engine under a load like when accelerating to get on the freeway. Now it is doing it a bit mre.

I plan to get under the car today (it has been raining here) and see if I the nuts are loose. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and drop the pipe and inspect or replace the gasket. If it's a metal gasket and the nuts are just loose, I figure the gasket should still be ok to reuse if not damaged but if it is some type of soft material (asbestos or other) it may be damaged.

Any thoughts? Anyone ever had issues with these connections?

Old 12-21-2007, 08:37 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: exhaust leak, rt manifold to upper pipe flange

You might want to check the "Y" pipe, they are known to crack, if so, just have it welded.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

X2 on that. The manifolds are prone to cracking. That said, my passenger side studs came loose. It is a metal gasket FYI..

Old 12-22-2007, 12:51 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I replaced the manifold gaskets and am still getting that tut-tut-tut noise so I took it to a shop that I trust and has worked on my other cars over the years. He said it is a head gasket leak near the 2nd piston from the passenger side firewall, he said the gas was blowing right past the manifold to top pipe flange and he could see it coming out with a mirror. He said it may even be a cracked cylinder head. []He suggested that whoever does the work, I should do the valves if they look worn and any other head work necessary, even do both sides since the engine is half apart.

Then he told me he no longer works on LR cars... the last double head job used $1400 in LR dealer parts and he billed his labor at $1200. He suggested I take it to the dealer. He said he would rather just install a new engine then ever work on repairing one again (he's a crusty old mechanic).

I searched the archive here and see that blown head gaskets do indeed happen. I fully realize that the dealership (or stealership as I've heard it called here) will have the highest price. But, do I get a better gaurantee or level of workmanship form the dealer? Will they really check everything out? Considering I don't have any non-LR repair shop that I know trust and don't feel comfortable doing these repairs myself what other options should I consider?

Old 12-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi Chris,

Your mechanic is telling you he doesn't want your business. However he has done the job once, so he's learned the lessons and in theory it should take him less time this time around. You could supply him with the gaskets and anything else needed from Atlantic British, and have him send out the heads to a specialty machine shop for a valve job.

Tell him he's the only mechanic you trust and you are asking him to do the work as a favor to you...a good customer. If he still won't do it, I'd find another shop pronto and probably never go back. A business only has to tell me once that they don't want my money.

Dave

Old 12-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're in Houston try www.motorcarsltd.com They'll work on it, and they'll have a used motor they can shove in if you want to do that instead. There's one in Dallas near me, I've only bought parts from them so far as I've been doing my own workbut the service manager there has been very helpful.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:29 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you buy that collector pipe gasket at? Do you have a part number thanks?

Old 12-23-2007, 10:26 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There is one on ebay right now. Actually a set of 2 I think. Other than that, www.roverparts.com or your dealer.