Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Existential Crisis

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 04:47 PM
Winching
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Existential Crisis

I'm starting to have an existential crisis in the middle of this job. I've removed the oil pan and front cover, and the upper intake manifold. The front of the block was a real mess so I decided to remove some of the parts necessary to proceed to the head gaskets (those will be replaced anyway). I'm starting to wonder how the heck I'm going to remember everything.

So I have 3 concerns/questions as I'm moving forward:

1. Tools, I've cracked a few sockets and twisted off some adapters trying to get the alternator bolts off. What brand/location is good to pickup quality tools?

2. Cleaning, Are there any concerns to spraying degreaser around the front block with the cover and oil pan off?

3. Contamination, one of the next steps is to remove the PAS pump and the rave mentions using plugs to limit contamination. Is this really a concern? I've had the oil pan off for a few days as I can only work in my spare time. Also a lot of coolant has dripped down as I removed the front cover.

Honestly I can't believe I've made it this far. Taking it apart is always the easy part though.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:18 PM
TReK
Received 764 Likes on 632 Posts

You should just be able to set the PAS pump off to one side, keeping it attached. Same with the A/C pump and the ACE pump (if you have one). Mine are all sitting like that right this moment.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by robert.juric
I'm starting to have an existential crisis in the middle of this job. I've removed the oil pan and front cover, and the upper intake manifold. The front of the block was a real mess so I decided to remove some of the parts necessary to proceed to the head gaskets (those will be replaced anyway). I'm starting to wonder how the heck I'm going to remember everything.

So I have 3 concerns/questions as I'm moving forward:

1. Tools, I've cracked a few sockets and twisted off some adapters trying to get the alternator bolts off. What brand/location is good to pickup quality tools?

2. Cleaning, Are there any concerns to spraying degreaser around the front block with the cover and oil pan off?

3. Contamination, one of the next steps is to remove the PAS pump and the rave mentions using plugs to limit contamination. Is this really a concern? I've had the oil pan off for a few days as I can only work in my spare time. Also a lot of coolant has dripped down as I removed the front cover.

Honestly I can't believe I've made it this far. Taking it apart is always the easy part though.
I pm'd you. Please check your inbox.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:55 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by mollusc
You should just be able to set the PAS pump off to one side, keeping it attached. Same with the A/C pump and the ACE pump (if you have one). Mine are all sitting like that right this moment.

Just cover your radiator with cardboard so it doesn't get dented. Remove the PAS assembly, take the PAS off, and leave it there. You won't lose a drop.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts

1. You seriously cracked sockets (plural?!) on the alternator bolts?

Craftsman is as high you need to go. I have Matco and Craftsman, and used my Craftsman sockets for most everything on my HG job.

2. I wouldn't use degreaser...but I don't see why you can't. The only thing is you need to thoroughly rinse. I can't stress that enough. My choice would be using non-chlorinated brake cleaner and a nylon brush, and plastic scraper for gasket surfaces. You can use a steel brush on non moving parts. If you are going to clean that timing chain, then make sure to rotate the engine so you can actually clean everything off that chain. AFTER thoroughly rinsing with brake clean (you are going to need at least 10 cans...maybe more for the whole job) then you will reassemble right? So I would do one oil change before start up. Driving for a complete drive cycle, and change the oil at least one more time.

3. My PS pump is just sitting off to the side now and I didn't worry about capping it. It leaks anyway,.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:37 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

1. Second that emotion on Craftsman tools.

2. Second that emotion on non-chlorinated brake cleaner. When working on any surface that might result in the cleaner running into or onto an engine crevice, I try to be careful and just spray the rag with cleaner, then wipe. I also had access to lots of cheap bulk motor oil, and would "rinse" the engine parts with it anytime I was in doubt.

3. I had plugs, so I removed my power steering pump. Plus, I had already removed the pump to re-build it.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted. The end result will be well worth it!

Old 10-16-2016, 09:19 AM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

If your rig has 165K like your signature shows I would replace the timing chain and gears and the oil pump.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:24 PM
Winching
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for the input everyone. Yes I've got the front cover off to do the timing chain and oil pump (and water pump), and head gaskets . Trying to figure out what to do with this PAS pump since its leaking pretty good. I may save that for another time. Its good to know I can at least set it aside to clean up so I can get this front cover back on.

I will try and track down some Craftsman sockets. Last time I worked on my rover I broke 3x 10mm sockets, and on this job I've cracked a 13mm socket and 2x 1/4 adapters. The lower alternator bolt is really on there.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:54 PM
Camel Trophy

Thanks for the input everyone. Yes I've got the front cover off to do the timing chain and oil pump (and water pump), and head gaskets . Trying to figure out what to do with this PAS pump since its leaking pretty good. I may save that for another time. Its good to know I can at least set it aside to clean up so I can get this front cover back on.

I will try and track down some Craftsman sockets. Last time I worked on my rover I broke 3x 10mm sockets, and on this job I've cracked a 13mm socket and 2x 1/4 adapters. The lower alternator bolt is really on there.

I've got a couple of nice craft am sets and they are great. But I use the cheap Pittsburgh Harbor Freight sockets and extensions on head gasket jobs. If they break, Harbor Freight gives you a new one right then, no fuss.. Like Sears used to do. The Harbor Freight ones are also dirt cheap.

The wobble extensions break alot easier than the squared ones.