Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

existing problems after head gasket job

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 07:27 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

are you getting heat? The water fall noise is air in your heater core. Pull the heater hoses off and back flush it with a hose and make sure it is flowing freely and full of water.

Also do you have a bleed screw or not it is hard to tell from your posts.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:34 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting heat, Sorry for the bleed screw mishap. I was under the assumption that the "t" with the bleeder would be a secondary bleed spot. After talking with disco mike I discovered that it simply replaces the bleed screw which is incorporated into the upper rad hose along the fan shroud. The reason for the new hose and new "t" with the bleeder is that the hose with the bleed screw can pop out while driving causing a very bad scenario and possibly other issues. Mike told me about the AC drains and to check them.

I checked the pass side, stuck a metal coat hanger up there and no water came out. On the driver side a little bit of water came out. Also since I first got done with the hg job and bleeding it then, the coolant resevior was a few inches down from the cold level this morning. I topped it off. Now the waterfall sounds seems not as much, maybe the air is getting out of the lines?

What I find odd is that I only get the waterfall sound when coming from a stop and going around a corner. Why wouldnt I get the sound from accelerating in park or neutral in the driveway? I read on the rave manual about a pressure relief valve and it only opening when applying gas or something like that. All along when I was bleeding it I was holding the rpm's at 1500 to 2000, maybe I should just let it idle and see what happens. Either way Im going to pm mike in the morning and see what the next course of action should be.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default More incline

The incline may be your solution.. The air pocket is in the top of your heater box, and the inlcine is the only way to get it out.. the bigger the incline the better... Then also rev the motor to get the water pressure up, and that should help force the air pocket out of there.. the waterfall sound is the water sloshing around inside the air pocket inside the heater core box... good luck, and make it a pretty extreme incline if you can

Old 10-14-2010, 10:34 AM
Drifting

Thats what I did yesterday, although I reved it before it was at temp. I jacked the front up as far as my 2 ton jack would go! water level didnt go down and I didnt see any air bubbles come out of the reservoir. Going to try again this morning, right now. Will update.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:13 AM
Drifting

alright, I used a 4x4 on top of the jack for more incline. Still get the waterfall noise after all said and done. Is there any tool that I can use to pressurize the res to force the coolant down?

Old 10-17-2010, 11:07 PM
Drifting

Are you in a "Cold Winter" state? if not, may want to try doing a heater matrix bypass as that may be where you air is trapped. Another benefit is not having coolant on your carpets if hoses go bad.