Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Expansion Tank Please Help....

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expansion Tank Please Help....

Hello Everyone! Thanks For Always Helping! I Have a Question My 2000 Land Rover Discovery The Water On The Expansion Tank Is Below The Indicator Arrow.Everytime I Fill It Up It Drops All The Water and Stays On That Certain Place Below The Indicating Arrow. Could Some thing Be Wrong?My Discovery Does not over heat or anything.Just my concern.Thanks For The Help!

Old 03-24-2011, 08:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What do you mean by "it drops the water"? Do you mean it is coming out of the overflow tube and pouring onto the ground?
If not, and you see no puddles, chances are you have a head gasket issue. What color is your coolant? If it is green, it will be easy to see even if it is dry. I just had the hose that goes from the T-stat to the block and also to the expansion tank with a small crack/leak. It never dripped on the ground, but when hot and running it would leak out. I had to look close to find where the leak was. Hopefully you just have a leak like that somewhere.
You could see in the pic below if you follow where my finger is pointing you will see it looks moist near the junction in the hose. Barely saw some green crust on it.
Name:  utf-8BSU1HMDE2MjEtMjAxMTAxMjYtMDEzMC5qcGc.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  85.1 KB

Old 03-24-2011, 08:49 PM
Overlanding

Water Does Not stay in the indicated level it stays Below.Just Had Head Gaskets,Replaced Thermostat,and intake Gaskets.And I already Bleed The Vehicle Maybe I need to do it again?Thanks So Much For The Help!

Old 03-24-2011, 09:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by MTristan
Water Does Not stay in the indicated level it stays Below.Just Had Head Gaskets,Replaced Thermostat,and intake Gaskets.And I already Bleed The Vehicle Maybe I need to do it again?Thanks So Much For The Help!
I suppose it would not hurt to bleed it again, but how many times you fill it up? If you don't hear the sounds of air in the system in the cab or under the hood, and you are not overheating, I'm thinking that bleeding is not the issue. But, easy to do so might as well give it a shot. If you have been having to fill it up a few times though, I'm thinking it is not the issue. I just did my coolant, and had to top it off once and that was it.
I would recheck all the coolant lines for signs they might have not been tightened up during the repair work. Check the one that runs up on top of the engine to the expansion hose. It is a real PITA to replace, I just had to do it. Same thing there. It was leaking but you would never see it under the truck as it would evaporate on the top of the engine. The previous owner didn't want to replace it (and I figured out why when I had to) so they just cut it and put an adapter piece in. Leaked at the adapter (shown below) plus where it attached to the engine. You could see a bit of the green on the valve cover from where the adapter leaked.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:57 PM
Overlanding

Thank You Soooooo Much Snafu/Disco Fries!!!I Hear No Sounds Of Overheating, Or Anything. I Really Think It's a Small Leak,Like you said in one of the Hose.I Will Check Into that! Thank you Very Much!!! Will Get Back Thanks Again Really Appreciate it!

Old 03-24-2011, 10:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by MTristan
Thank You Soooooo Much Snafu/Disco Fries!!!I Hear No Sounds Of Overheating, Or Anything. I Really Think It's a Small Leak,Like you said in one of the Hose.I Will Check Into that! Thank you Very Much!!! Will Get Back Thanks Again Really Appreciate it!
No problem. I'm sure others will know some of the other common suspects for coolant as well. Just double check the obvious things first, and use your nose as a guide. Double check the exhaust for a sweet smell, and then open the hood and sniff around after you turn off the car from a drive. The steam will smell nice and sweet. If all else fails, you could always get some dye for the system to use a UV light to detect the leak in hard to see spots. I'm assuming that is safe for these vehicles, but just double check first before getting any of it.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:59 AM
Winching

Just FYI, Dexcool is florescent under ultraviolet light. Get yourself a black light and wait until it's dark out. Hit the engine bay with it and if it's leaking somewhere it will light up like a crime scene.