Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Capacity Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 02:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Capacity Fuel Tank

I was looking around the Rover Sites for upgrades/accessories for my '03 Disco and came across a "Long Ranger Fuel Tank."

Anyone have one? Do they work w/U.S. vehicle specs?

-just curious

Old 05-16-2007, 03:37 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Extended Capacity Fuel Tank

Can you post their site, I have never seen an aftermarket fuel tank for a Rover.
Mike

Old 05-16-2007, 03:56 PM
4wd Low

Looks like these guys are in Australia - no wonder people need bigger tanks there

http://www.thelongranger.com.au/disc...efueltank.html

Old 05-16-2007, 04:38 PM
Administrator

I doubt that that tank is DOT approved, no chance in using that here in the states.
Mike

Old 05-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Three Wheeling

Without getting too much into the weeds... As long as that tank has its own pump which removes the fuel rather than a gravity feed than it is completely legal. Go for it, who would know anyway? Its under the body!

Old 05-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Rondo,
Got to tell you I believe you are wrong on that statement, if they are not DOT approved you can't add them to vehicle produced after the late 70's, that is why you don't see shops around town adding tanks like they used to.
Mike

Old 05-17-2007, 07:05 AM
Three Wheeling

Copy from the other thread on this issue:

The regulations regarding aftermarket fuel systems that you'd have to meet are : FMVSS 301 (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards), VESC-22 (Vehicle Equipment Safety Commission), NFPA 1192, ANSI 119.2, RVIA (Recreational Vehicle Industry Association) regulations, CARB (California Air Resources Board, assuming you are in Cali), and EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) regulations.

FMVSS 301 states that anyone who alters a vehicle must meet or exceed the structural integrity and performance of the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) fuel system. In other words, if an alterer adds an auxiliary system to a vehicle thereby reducing the performance of the fuel system, he or she has violated FMVSS 301 standards.

1. The 1990 Clean Air Act states that an individual owner of a vehicle may modify his fuel system only if it complies with all federal regulations. If he does not, he will risk state and federal penalties.
2. When an auxiliary system is added to a gasoline powered vehicle, the fuel must be drawn through a pipe at the top of the tank. Balance lines or tanks in series so that one tank supplies another is not permitted. Gravity feeding from one tank to another using a balance line is illegal for all systems except ICC diesel systems.
3. Replacement systems are acceptable as long as they meet the previously discussed regulations.
4. Should non compliance with FMVSS or the 1990 Clean Air Act be discovered, the owner would be liable for civil penalties up to $2,500 for each violation. Also, the Federal Clean Air Act requires manufacturers to exercise more care in their product applications to avoid violations of the law. Violations can carry penalties up to $200,000. For example, adding a fuel system that does not meet provisions for proper emissions control could be in violation of the Federal Clean Air Act.
5. Fuel line routing should allow for a minimum of 3 inches of clearance from the exhaust system or else a metal shield must be provided.
6. Fuel lines should never be routed on the outside of the vehicle body.

After researching someI don't see any mention of DOT regulations but that certainly doesn't mean there aren't any regarding fuel tanks. So take it for what you will and I'd recommend not taking my word for the gospel

Ah crap, here we are in the weeds.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:09 AM
Three Wheeling

One more thing... If you install a secondary fuel tank with a transfer pump into your current fuel tank it would be no different than those pick up trucks with fuel tanks in their beds with similar transfer pumps. But with all things, do this at your own risk. Its always best to know the consequences of your actions before doing something

Old 05-17-2007, 09:30 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend of mine has a secondary fuel tank in his D-90 that isa V8 gas.
He found his gas tankin England.