Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended warranties are EXPENSIVE $$$$

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended warranties are EXPENSIVE $$$$

I have 04 SE stock, 72K. Bought it with LR certified warranty expiring soon, 6/75k. I know most on forum do not recommend extended warranties. But I wanted to share the prices that I found.

From LR dealer. Extension of certified warranty. $100 deductible. 2 more years, or total of 100K. $5344.

From Easy Care directly. I was told that they underwrite LR CPO warranties. Additional 2 years or 24k miles, $4793. Additional 3 years or 36K, $5723. $250 deductible. Exclusionary policy.

These prices seem pretty crazy to me. What do you guys think?

Old 04-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Ah...yeah.

In order to make the $5000 worth it you would either need your engine to blow up and be covered under warranty or the transmission goes out and is covered.
Nothing else is that expensive to repair.
Head gaskets, $1500.
Radiator, $600.
A/C compressor, $400.
MAF sensor $200.
Differential, $1000.
Transfer case $2400.
Now these are all new prices, you can get all of these parts cheaper if you know where to look and cheaper yet if you do the work.
Headgaskets are $500 if you do the work yourself for example.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM me or go to rangerovers.net to find some good, less expensive extended warranties. They are out there.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tapper
I have 04 SE stock, 72K. Bought it with LR certified warranty expiring soon, 6/75k. I know most on forum do not recommend extended warranties. But I wanted to share the prices that I found.

From LR dealer. Extension of certified warranty. $100 deductible. 2 more years, or total of 100K. $5344.

From Easy Care directly. I was told that they underwrite LR CPO warranties. Additional 2 years or 24k miles, $4793. Additional 3 years or 36K, $5723. $250 deductible. Exclusionary policy.

These prices seem pretty crazy to me. What do you guys think?
Yes those numbers seem high, but close to what my warranty company quoted me. To extend my pre-existing warranty through LR for 3/36 on an 03 DII w 65k miles was around $4200. Not bad if you feel your engine is going to go. I couldn't justify extending the warranty since my engine was recently replaced, so in my case it paid for itself many times over and much to my surprise, the warranty coverage/company was great. Only you know what will work best for you!

Good luck!

Regards,
Nick

Old 04-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want an 'insurance' policy, I was quoted $1800 for a factory exotic bumper-to-bumper, with a $500 deductible. One head gasket and a couple of door lock actuators + and it is paid for. Oil pump and/or bad block and you have been paid back by 4x. As I said, PM me if you want info.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:20 PM
Three Wheeling

What company did you use?

Old 04-13-2010, 11:22 PM
Rock Crawling

That's expensive!

I, like the previous poster, got some quotes via companies I found on RangeRovers.net
  1. About $2765 - Exotic (Bumper to bumper)
  2. or about $2074 - major components, incl. gaskets and seals, etc.

This for an 04 Disco SE w/ 92K miles.

I'm seriously considering it as for the next year this could be my main vehicle. The first quote (Exotic) works out to about $180/mo after about a $700 upfront.

-Anthony

Old 04-14-2010, 12:38 AM
Drifting
Default Errr no

Most warranties have 60-90% mark up. Even if you do buy it for half of what youve been quoted there is always the chance that it will be a waste of money and nothing will break. Your vehicle is worth what $20,000? And you want to spend $5000 on the idea that it will break. Did you really have to ask? I have heard of people getting engine rebuilds and what not covered under their insurance. Check into that.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:28 AM
Rock Crawling

I've never heard of engine rebuild being covered by an auto policy other than post-accident, but I find that intriguing. Thank you.

In terms of markups, most everything has a markup. The percentage of that markup and comparing the long term cost of the policy versus the value of the vehicle is moot. Numbers won't tell the whole story. The idea of an extended warranty, for many people, is peace of mind. Having to slowly pay something within their budget versus having to all of a sudden part with a large amount of cash they might not have.

In short, it's a personal decision and looking solely at the numbers, albeit a valuable exercise, doesn't make the decision a simple one. You have to take into consideration what your mechanical abilities are, your access to affordable quality knowledgeable service/mechanic, or - if none of those - what your income/expenses are month to month and whether you can handle paying the monthly warranty fee or a repair bill in full should something go wrong.

-Anthony

Old 04-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Drifting

Think of this like gambling. You would be making a $5000 bet, within 36k at a maximum, that this protection will pay for it's self with costly repairs being covered. All this to protect a vehicle thats worth I'm guessing $20,000. The cost of the vehicle versus the cost of the warranty is a secondary concern only surpassed by the likelyhood of a breakage and the cost of repairs. But without a doubt it must be considered. If you don't believe me ask yourself this question. Would I spend $5000 on a warranty for a $100,000 vehicle? or Would I spend $5000 on a warranty for a $5000 vehicle? Then you speak of making payments on said warranty that's been purchased. Unless its 0%, now you've barrowed money to buy an idea that something will break that costs over $5000 to repair within 36,000 miles or 3 years on a vehicle thats only worth $20,000 all for a peace of mind. If it worries you that much buy a certified Honda. With that being said, it would make a lot more sense to spend $2000 on a warranty for that vehicle. So do that, but pay cash for it and make sure these warranties actually pay out. Research the company and get a detailed list of coverages.

Last edited by TreyKnight; 04-15-2010 at 10:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Extended warranties are EXPENSIVE $$$$