Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended warranties are EXPENSIVE $$$$

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 11:09 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TreyKnight makes a some good points. An extended warranty is almost never worth the money you pay. You are better off setting up a repair account and paying yourself. It is mostly small stuff that breaks, and you shouldn't have an issue paying for those with the money you set aside each month. After a few months of paying yourself, you should have a pretty good LR emergency fund. You almost ALWAYS end up paying more for what ever repairs do pop up because you have already paid this crazy premium (plus deductible). Never mind the fact that they will find any minuscule loop hole they can to not pay. If you are a worrier, and that is the only way you can sleep at night because there is a slight chance half of your vehicle is going to all of a sudden stop working, go for it. Just pray that the Earth isn't hit by an asteroid the next day.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All insurances are, to say the least, a gamble. My point was that for some people, paying $180 a month might be easier than coming up with the money for a repair all at once. But the way you explain it, it makes alot of sense not to do it. It might be wiser to put that money aside and, if nothing happens, then at least you have a nice chunk that you wouldn't have gotten back from the insurer.

Great point!

Old 04-16-2010, 07:31 PM
Three Wheeling

Yep... Open a savings account (something like ING Directs Orange Savings Account for example) that gives you a decent return, has no minimum balance, and no fees and allows you quick access to your funds. Set up an automatic savings plan to keep you honest and "paying" the account each month. At $180 a month you will have $1100 in six months. Over $2200 in a year. If you need to make some smaller repairs maybe it will take a few months longer but soon enough you will a) be self insured against almost any single repair you might need and b) will still have what ever money you didn't use (plus interest as the money starts to work for you.)

To minimize the "I'm not protected fear" as you just start to save, cut out Starbucks for two months and invest the extra $80 to $100 and you will have over $500 in two months.

Or something like that.

Find a local club (MVLRS for me) and join. That will also help because you will have access to knowledge, tools, possible parts discounts, and a helping hand. All helping minimize cost. That's part of what makes owning a Rover fun. Also, plan ahead for known issues (Atlantic British having a sale on window regulators? Maybe take out a little money once the reserve is built up and buy it while it is on sale. Brakes are fine now, but you can get the pads for a steal? Go ahead and get em and keep them on hand.) Just make sure you don't drain the emergency fund.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, do you know what i could do to my truck for $5k??????

it'd be like back to the future.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been traveling all week and apologize to those who have PM'd me.

I received good quotes from Warranties for Wheels and Auto Advantage. Contact info can be found at rangerovers.net. Just so you are aware, if you go with a payment plan, you will need to pay in full before they will cover your first claim, so there is no slow rolling it. Also, be aware that most policies require an inspection, if you are out of warrantee, and will not cover anything within 1K miles.

Personally, I already have the ING car repair fund, which is paid monthly...have done it for years and it is a great way to go. My biggest expense could be a slipped cylinder sleeve, forcing me to get a new block. I've accepted that, with the understanding that I want to keep my truck to as close to forever as possible, so the investment would be worth it to me...we each need to make that call ourselves. My 04 DII SE7 is my third Land Rover, so I have developed an ability to do basic stuff myself and have a good relationship with the dealership and incredible local indy mechanics...though I do long for my 87 RR I sold for song!

I will be spending my $$$ on a Hannibal rack and other expedition gear, as that is what I bought my truck for in the first place.

Would love to hear about others' experiences, so please keep the discourse going.

Last edited by hunter; 04-17-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Three Wheeling

I am going to go the savings plan route. In my google search of "exotic" policies there are many complaints about them. Does anyone have personal experience w them

Old 04-18-2010, 04:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Tapper
I am going to go the savings plan route. In my google search of "exotic" policies there are many complaints about them. Does anyone have personal experience w them
Smart, very smart.

I personally have no experience with extended warrantees but I have heard many a story of a engine blowing up and then not being covered because the engine could have been saved had you shut it off right away never minding the fact that you were on railroad tracks and a train was coming.

There was a guy on Discoweb.org who had a 2003, the oil pump failed, he pulled over right away and had it towed to the dealer.
The warranty company would not pay for a new engine because he had put oversized tires on it and did not have receipts for oil changes (he changed his own oil)
But of course they did not tell him this until the engine was torn apart looking for the fault, then he had to pay for the work already done, which was alot of money because the dealer torn the engine apart.