Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extent of nanocom abilities?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2021, 09:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Extent of nanocom abilities?

So the better half is well invested in her rover so that means I'm elbow deep invested in it. She loves the rig but hates the fuel mileage and fuel expense. The shop i work at also has a disco 1/2 hybrid in works, both will be diesel conversions.

I plan to buy a diagnostic tool that will go in depth on these. The snap on won't program keys and that's a feature I'd like the shop to be able to do. Seems that having a rover outside the shop brings other rovers in and i get that question too frequently, I already cut keys so I guess programming them is a logical next step.

So both rigs are in the works for diesel transplants. Will the nanocom be able to assist me with changing or assisting with the adjustment of certain inputs to info exchanged by the ecu and bcm that are needed for the immobilizer/abs and such systems to work properly together?

I will need to duplicate such signals like the tps, engine speed sensor, crank/cam position sensors. Finding out what their output readings are imperative to enabling me to duplicate those signals so the disco doesn't know the 4.0 ever left.

the vw tdi forums get so in depth on audi/vw tdi swaps that guys are able to reprogram ecu/bcm/instrument clusters to function properly for a variety of engine and transmission conversions. There isn't as much publicly shared knowledge of the inner workings for this info on the disco nor the mad scientists around to send your components to for a full plug and play reprogram for these conversions

Fast forward automotive is more than happy to assist with making the tdi ecu controlled models work flawlessly with the disco 2 (not as complicated as say a 2015 audi 4 motion) but I must first supply him with information for what he needs to replicate so the rig stays happy and won't brick.

my goal for the little ladies disco 2 is a BHW 2.0 stage 2 tuned (175hp 300 ft lbs torque) 4 cylinder diesel. Approx 400 lbs and matched to a 2003 hp24 trans to handle the torque. Compushift will supply the controller for setting my shift points. I make peak torque between 1900 and 2200 rpms so the stock v8 torque converter may have a stall that will be suited just fine for the rover with 33" tires and stock gearing. Obtaining a tdi to zf adapter is very difficult and would likely need to be a one off I make myself with aid of a local machine shop. A mercedes diesel is avaliable but I don't like the om617 as much as the tdi (slow and heavy) and I'm not familiar with the om606 or om603. Impressive motors for power but long for the disco 2. The om602 is a good mechanical candidate but only came turbo in 1987 to the USA as far as i can tell. I'm not sure if the non turbo 0m602 can handle a small turbo to reach 150 or so hp with 300 ft lbs of torque target without ip mods. The inline 5 would fit nicely vs an i6. The m57 is a candidate but if I had that change I'd use the r2.8 new with adapter.

Old 10-29-2021, 09:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by PickleRick
So the better half is well invested in her rover so that means I'm elbow deep invested in it. She loves the rig but hates the fuel mileage and fuel expense. The shop i work at also has a disco 1/2 hybrid in works, both will be diesel conversions.

I plan to buy a diagnostic tool that will go in depth on these. The snap on won't program keys and that's a feature I'd like the shop to be able to do. Seems that having a rover outside the shop brings other rovers in and i get that question too frequently, I already cut keys so I guess programming them is a logical next step.

So both rigs are in the works for diesel transplants. Will the nanocom be able to assist me with changing or assisting with the adjustment of certain inputs to info exchanged by the ecu and bcm that are needed for the immobilizer/abs and such systems to work properly together?

I will need to duplicate such signals like the tps, engine speed sensor, crank/cam position sensors. Finding out what their output readings are imperative to enabling me to duplicate those signals so the disco doesn't know the 4.0 ever left.

the vw tdi forums get so in depth on audi/vw tdi swaps that guys are able to reprogram ecu/bcm/instrument clusters to function properly for a variety of engine and transmission conversions. There isn't as much publicly shared knowledge of the inner workings for this info on the disco nor the mad scientists around to send your components to for a full plug and play reprogram for these conversions

Fast forward automotive is more than happy to assist with making the tdi ecu controlled models work flawlessly with the disco 2 (not as complicated as say a 2015 audi 4 motion) but I must first supply him with information for what he needs to replicate so the rig stays happy and won't brick.

my goal for the little ladies disco 2 is a BHW 2.0 stage 2 tuned (175hp 300 ft lbs torque) 4 cylinder diesel. Approx 400 lbs and matched to a 2003 hp24 trans to handle the torque. Compushift will supply the controller for setting my shift points. I make peak torque between 1900 and 2200 rpms so the stock v8 torque converter may have a stall that will be suited just fine for the rover with 33" tires and stock gearing. Obtaining a tdi to zf adapter is very difficult and would likely need to be a one off I make myself with aid of a local machine shop. A mercedes diesel is avaliable but I don't like the om617 as much as the tdi (slow and heavy) and I'm not familiar with the om606 or om603. Impressive motors for power but long for the disco 2. The om602 is a good mechanical candidate but only came turbo in 1987 to the USA as far as i can tell. I'm not sure if the non turbo 0m602 can handle a small turbo to reach 150 or so hp with 300 ft lbs of torque target without ip mods. The inline 5 would fit nicely vs an i6. The m57 is a candidate but if I had that change I'd use the r2.8 new with adapter.
I hope more people chime in but I don't have much hope. I have looked for specific technical help with issues here and have come up with nothing past what size tires will fit what lift. One day I would like to be able to do the r2.8 conversion as well.

I don't believe the Nanocom will fill your needs for the Diesel conversion, you can change settings in the ECU/BCM but not exactly find specific values to send to the Diesel Standalone ECU. You can however program key fobs with it. @Brandon318 has one and might be willing to look for specific entries in it for you. Also here is the documentation for it as well as other info that might be useful for you.

https://www.nanocom-diagnostics.com/downloads

Last edited by Sandman614; 10-29-2021 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-29-2021, 10:19 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 774 Likes on 510 Posts

Call ACE Conversions and see about just purchasing their black box if it will do what you need. If not will be some trial and error to work through matching signals, tedious but can be done. People have been tricking ecus for years in other applications. What about a newer BMW x5 turbo diesel? I believe that is a somewhat popular swap into P38s and Classics across the pond. If you live where there are no emissions, the easy button would be to find a way to get a td5 imported. Still lots of leg work but no electrical concerns and you can get those ecus tuned. I know it hasn't been 25 years but it has and can be done.

Old 10-29-2021, 11:10 AM
Rock Crawling

The m57 i mentioned is the bhw diesel that I believe was also used by Toyota land cruiser and volvo penta marine applications. It is a 3.0 turbo. Manufactured by yanmar iirc.

I will likely be using ACE for my LS adapter as I can then get a tdi to LS adapter. Their black box is something I'm very interested in getting my hands on as the LS and it's electronic data is very welll documented. I have emailed them but they are swamped. I'd pull the trigger and buy their kit today if they would sell me the adapter and black box alone. Most of the kit will be useless for me as I don't need any ls mounting component. I don't mind being a guinea pig for fast automotive and ACE.

Old 10-29-2021, 11:44 AM
Pro Wrench

My bad I missed the M57 mention at the bottom. What about using a 6L90 chevy trans with the trans controller you might be able to use outputs from that controller to fool the rover components. Plus that trans basically acts as a crawlbox offroad in 1st and 2nd gear with how the ratios work out, buddy's classic has a 6.0 LS and the 6L90 and it's just about as good as it gets imo for a gas motor/trans option in a rover.

Old 10-29-2021, 11:57 AM
Rock Crawling

The 6l90 is an impressive transmission. Does it have the pass side front diff clearance issues the 700r4 and 4l60/80e transmissions have? In pics i don't see the pan kick out but the body is very large on that trans compared the the 700r4 and 4l60e l

This is my only reason to avoid them. I'll be using compushift or other controller matter which one I go with.

Old 10-29-2021, 11:59 AM
Pro Wrench

He has no fitment issues and it adapts nicely to the LT230 and did not move the t-case location/mounts. The clearance issues I remember seeing with the LS swaps were due to the oil pan not the transmissions.

Old 10-29-2021, 12:06 PM
Rock Crawling

This is good info. I can get a trans with converter for sub 3k. Better gearing options for optimal rpms at any speed with the tdi and somewhat high gearing for 33s.

I already have a 3 inch tf lift kit, I don't mind adding a 1 to 2inch body lift to give more front diff clearance.. I went through similar mods to put an isuzu 4bd1t in and fj60 and 4bd2t in an fj40. Both had some welding and fab work for the oil pan to clear the pan.

I use a hybrid fwd alh pan with alh pick up. It is slim enough to clear my ifs 87 4 runner pass drop diff with 2 inches of body lift.

Old 10-29-2021, 02:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 184 Likes on 117 Posts

ACE had an article on their website about diesels a while back: https://www.alternativeconversion.co...s-diesel-swaps

Surprising lot to do with for a TD5. BMW M57 is a great engine, I drove one a while back - just harder to find.

I’d probably stay away from using the 6L80 with an aftermarket controller. I have heard of tuning issues with the PCS controller from the R2.8 crowd. I think a lot of it surrounds that the 6L80 is a clutch-to-clutch unit, rather than one-way clutches on the older transmissions (which was easier to control).

Old 10-29-2021, 02:17 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by CaptainAaron
ACE had an article on their website about diesels a while back: https://www.alternativeconversion.co...s-diesel-swaps

Surprising lot to do with for a TD5. BMW M57 is a great engine, I drove one a while back - just harder to find.

I’d probably stay away from using the 6L80 with an aftermarket controller. I have heard of tuning issues with the PCS controller from the R2.8 crowd. I think a lot of it surrounds that the 6L80 is a clutch-to-clutch unit, rather than one-way clutches on the older transmissions (which was easier to control).

the bhw tdi is a longitudinally positioned engine. this is her mated to a toyota r150f transmission. Plenty of passenger side stater and drive shaft clearance thanks to the high mounted turbo and manifold. I will use factory vw engine mount brackets and oem liquid filled engine mounts in the 4 runner swap.

Quick Reply: Extent of nanocom abilities?