Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extent of nanocom abilities?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2021, 06:37 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Let's start with the engine to trans communication. I believe there are only 2 sensors that talk. That would the the crank sensor and tps.

Crank sensor I think i have figured out. It's a 60-2 trigger. Plenty of aftermarket suppliers make trigger wheels so it can be duplicated. If anyone cam confirm this I would appreciate it.

Old 11-01-2021, 05:30 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by whowa004
The trutracs have diminished effectiveness 33s and larger. Also imo they stress things more than selectables as they require slipping or spinning to engage and more likely to shock load the driveline.. In the snow on pavement the rover doesn't need anything else in 99% of the time and in the times it needs more you will know it lol

True tracks are a mechanical lsd, you won't feel them engage on/off road or in slush. I've never heard of lost effectiveness due to tire size.

Old 11-01-2021, 06:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 774 Likes on 510 Posts

Do a little digging. They aren't as effective on larger tires just as the abs isn't either on these trucks. You will notice them engage off-road as they don't engage until one tire is slipping. On road probably won't notice.

Old 11-01-2021, 07:51 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by whowa004
Do a little digging. They aren't as effective on larger tires just as the abs isn't either on these trucks. You will notice them engage off-road as they don't engage until one tire is slipping. On road probably won't notice.
are you confusing the old clutch driven Eaton true tracs and and newer worm gear Detroit true tracks?

granted to do research on them you'll find way more information on then being used on heeps than rovers but there are plenty of dd rigs with 35s and 37s running them on 4.88 and 5.13 gears. Different application but the operation of the differentials are the same.

To notice them working off road is kind of a default, as in you're not stuck going through or over something that you likely wouldn't have made it through with open differentials. Wet grass seems to be a weak point for a non cdl lockable D2. An added plus is you won't have the issue with a lunch box locker which kicks in on snow/ice when you're not expecting it and you crap your pants a bit.

Or hear it dragging a tire when making tight turns.

you'll likely only notice it's there when you're losing traction at which point you tap the brakes while hoping she'll catch so you don't have to call that jeep over to help you out after having made fun of his inferior ORV.

The true track won't be as good as an air locker off road but it does steer much better than a locked front diff.

if for some reason your 3 amigos go off you won't lose your ablity to transfer power to another wheel if you have lockers. What's especially handy is having a switch to engage your cdl before you get into some terrain you could possibly regret later to help, a compliment to any disco 2 locked or not.

I really didn't want to derail this thread as it's more about keeping the electronics happy after an engine conversion and should I need to ditch the factory abs/traction control I felt that true tracks were a great way to spread the strain around on notably week disco differentials.

I have found a pretty neat 4bt disco 2 build using the nv4500. He however has no factory gauges or climate control. As of now his axles are doing fine with the tuned up 4bt swap and he has zero original rover electronics. Not my method of choice but it's a sweet rig.

doomsday diesel reports an om617 powered disco 2 nearing the final stages of build. It has been adapted to a toyota transmission. Sadly I don't have details on the trans/axles/gearing being used or if he is keeping any factory controls. All I know is it's a shop owner in Canada.

I have looked hard at the om617 but 125hp (might push 150 with turbo upgrade and Alda delete) she might be a little slow to push 5000 lbs of rover. They make around 190 ft lbs of torque.

The engine specs are close to that of a 200tdi. A few 4 runner guys have them with swing out/winch bumpers and roof rack pushing 5k and report low 20 mpgs

Might be a motor worth looking at. Simple, cheap, readily available

This is the little ladies rig. She has to maintain 80mph up slight grades.

Last edited by PickleRick; 11-01-2021 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-02-2021, 05:42 AM
Winching
Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Whowa004 trutrac comment perhaps comes from a more off road perspective. They’re nicely paired with this truck on account of the traction control & cost.. they simply are not as effective as a 100% locker.

Maybe you want to reach out to M&D in the UK- they have perfected exactly what your trying to do. Take a mechanical diesel & make it communicate with the dash, and transmission. Fake the ECU & BCU thinking it’s there - to make it run happily.

It comes with a little black tape for the check engine light. You WILL loose it’s rover functions (TC & DHD because those are managed electronically by the ECU; thus the comments about how well to bring back the off road heritage of the truck with lockers & drive line)
but maintain climate control & functional tach/mph/ fuel & temp - (nobody trusts that temp gauge anyway)

I have all the paperwork but it’s not detailed like the questions you seek- its providing pre engineered plug n play. I can fwd you manuals if you’d think it will help you?
Howerever- David Jackson is very good at getting back to me via email.