Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fender flare reconditioning

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fender flare reconditioning

ORIGINAL: Syzygy

OK. Finally got it the way I want it.

1. Thoroughly sandedwith 220 and then 320 wet/dry.
2. Wiped down with clean rag and ammonia to remove sanding residue and any Armor-All, wax, bird poop, etc.
3. Several light coats of Krylon Fusion flat black. SEVERAL. LIGHT. COATS.

Things to keep in mind:

1. When you think you've sanded everything to the same finish, you haven't. Get the 320 and do it again.
2. When you think you have everything masked off nicely, you don't. Check it again. Masking tape and plastic sheeting is cheap.
3. Ammonia bottles are apparently designed to losen their caps without human intervention.

Actually it turned out better than I'd hoped.

Where did you find the Fusion Flat Black?? I went all over town and all they had was Satin, which I thought was too glossy, I used a flat Honda bumper paint, but I'm going to start all over again, looks ok but some spots I did not sand enough and obviously didn't have tem clean enough because I have some bubbles spots. But yours look great.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:25 PM
4wd Low

Like you, I couldn't find flat black anywhere, so I ordered it from Caswell, Inc. (www.caswellplating.com - product code K02519)

Duplicolor makes a toluene solvent based flat black paint that can be used on plastic and vinyl. I haven't tested it, but it seems to be widely available at autoparts stores and the kind folks down at the local Autozone had good things to say about it.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Rock Crawling

Ok thanks for the info!!

Old 02-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Mudding

For what it's worth, my fender flares began deteriorating immediately after I purchased it in 02. During my first service they refinished/painted them and they still look good. I always felt they had reacted with something they had come into contact with like a preservative during shipping.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:16 PM
4wd Low

Since the damage to my flares was along the top half, i.e. those areas that suffer the most exposure to direct sunlight, I've been assuming that it was due to UV damage. I do know that some plastics break down under UV.

That's the real reason we should do more off-roading. The mud protects the plastic parts from the sun.

I've been considering applying a couple of top coats of a clear, matte finish UV protectant to keep it from re-occuring. I tried to find out if the Fusion has a UV protectant in the formula, but it's not mentioned on Krylon's web site.