Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fender flares rhino-lined

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 05:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wynhd
@nychaze- it looks great and I considered doing it myself but, I know the prep is the most important part from what I have read lately in getting this done. I can change my oil, brakes and do most work with a manual but, paint, body work and bed liner I have zero experience with.
I thought the same thing about the prep work. We sanded the drivers front completely smooth then painted it. The second one we did we sanded half as much, finish came out the same. Didnt even sand the other two other than a light scuff with (180 per can instructions) and you couldn't tell the difference. I cant seem to find a close up of my flares before but they were much worse than yours.

I also went way overboard with the masking off (pretty much covered the truck) but there was no over spray like you get with normal spray paint. You can see in the one pic the over spray, not too much.

$150 doesnt seem like a bad deal though.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:41 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 283 Likes on 216 Posts

I am dismantle my fenders and give a shot with Plasti Dip ($6 a can at Home Depot):

Performix Brand 11 oz. Plasti Dip Black Rubber Coating Spray-11203-6 at The Home Depot

It is a thick black rubberized coating.... smiliar to electrical wire coating. I used it on some of my other car projects (used to be a VW and Porsche guy) and it worked well.

Holds up very well through repeated car washes with the smooth rubberized surface.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:15 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I did this last year. I completely removed my flares, sanded them down, sprayed them with the dupli-color bed liner stuff and sprayed them 3 times. The hardest part of the whole thing was removing all the old double sided tape. It's been over a year and they still look as good as the day I put them back on. I know most people leave them on to do it but I didn't want to take any chances of over spray, and I wanted to make sure I got all of each flare sprayed so there wasn't any chance of flaking.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:20 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 283 Likes on 216 Posts

Just curious since I am a newbie with the Discovery.... are the fenders held together by double sided tape or screws or both? I recollect seeing some screws on the inside lip part of the fenders.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:42 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For 150 bux plus a couple more you could have bought Terafirma flares...

Old 05-23-2013, 07:52 PM
Winching
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by acg
Just curious since I am a newbie with the Discovery.... are the fenders held together by double sided tape or screws or both? I recollect seeing some screws on the inside lip part of the fenders.
I think it is just double-sided sticky tape

Old 05-23-2013, 10:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Fivespddisco
I think it is just double-sided sticky tape
It is, just sticky tape.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:15 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like Royce is high....I see that bong on the workbench : )

Old 05-28-2013, 08:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is the finished product, I decided against the grill for now. For some reason I can't upload the rear gate handle that was done as well.

Attached Thumbnails Fender flares rhino-lined-lr1.jpg  

Last edited by wynhd; 05-28-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:36 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I considered the rhino lining also. I completely took mine off and removed all the old double sided tape using a eraser wheel. After seeing the duplicolor bed armor look I think that is the way I will go. The Rhino lining does look great though. I even considered on coating a extra cracked bumper shell I have just to have a back up.

Quick Reply: Fender flares rhino-lined