Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few questions, and something odd..

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 01:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Few questions, and something odd..

Well, I have put about 60 miles on the Disco since I got it moving again. the pan is still leaking a lil bit, but that's ok. I will work on it tomorrow. I have noticed a few things though.

The CEL is on, (as well as almost every other light in the dash). I have a misfire around town. It goes away at about half throttle under acceleration. Get up to speed, let off the gas, and it gets to missing again. On the freeway, it cruises beautifully. No missing, no blinking CEL, it loves to cruise. Put it under any sort of load though, and it picks up that miss again. It was tuned up by the PO right before I got it. According to the codes I pulled before I could actually drive it, the number 8 cylinder and injector is the culprit. There is an open FI circuit code, as a misfire code on the #8 cylinder. I pulled the plugs a few weeks ago, and there is significant carbon buildup on them. I haven't gotten around to changing the plugs (spike but the wires are in perfect shape (and they're STI wires, which according to a few peoples reactions, I guess are pretty good). I do not know when or if the coils were replaced with the plugs and wires. I was going to, but did not do a seafoam treatment today like I had wanted to, by the time I got out, it was getting too dark and too cold. All together, I have 93 and 94 octane, some Seafoam, some cheap-*** UDF gas treatment, and some Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas tank. It has progressively begun to run better, but I still have the miss. Where would you guys start first...new plugs and coil packs?

And the odd thing that happened tonight. I went to meet a friend to get a bite to eat a little while ago. When I got in, the security light was blinking. I put the key in and turned it, but nothing happened. I pulled the key out, and using the key fob, locked it, unlocked it, and it started right up. Just a fluke?

Old 03-20-2009, 09:29 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would do a seafoam induction cleaning and replace the plugs. Then check the wiring for your #8 injector. I would strongly suggest again not driving it with the CEL flashing. Get a cheap scanner at harbor freight to read your engine codes.

If your #8 coil is out, all you are doing is washing down that cylinder with fuel, and you are going to kill that cylinder. I know you are fired up about getting the tranny going, but you are going to cut off you nose to spite your face. Don't drive it until you can at least keep the light from flashing. seriously, I am trying to tell you it is bad.

Oh, and if you lock it with the fob and unlock it with the key, it will set the alarm off on mine.

PS-don't drive it.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:26 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yeah if the CEL is flashing that means that it is a time bomb and once it stops flashing...

Replace the plugs.
You may have a bad injector, but replace the plugs first.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the prior owner just had it tuned up, then the plugs shouldn't be all covered with carbon. You definitely need new plugs and check the #8 wired and make sure it sanps on the plug good.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

the problem is the injector or wiring to it if you have a p1208 code, the plugs probably dont help the situation, but you need to check that injector, that code doesnt throw because it thinks it might be a problem, it throws because the ecm checks the resistance of the injector/wiring