Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The FINAL WORK, the TRUTH, about Rover key fob programming

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 01:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default The FINAL WORK, the TRUTH, about Rover key fob programming

I own a Hawkeye; have had it for several years. No matter what you may have heard/read, the Hawkeye WILL NOT PROGRAM KEY FOBS, though I have read on this site, and other sites that it will, so I spent months trying to figure out how to do it on Hawkeye. Finally, I contacted the makers of the Hawkeye, in England, and they told me that they never set up the firmware for it to program key fobs, so obviously it cannot program key fobs. I asked them if, on the next firmware upgrade, if they would include key fob programming; they said they would. But, when the next upgrade came out, it still wouldn't program keys. When I contacted them again, with a reminder of their promise, they said that they had time to reconsider, and that they decided to NOT include the capability in the firmware, for fear of criminals using it to steal vehicles. Personally, I believe that Rover had a huge influence too, in this decision, because Hawkeye is made by the same company that makes the "test book" usede by Rover dealers; and if the Hawkeye were able to program keys, Rover would be losing that business from their exuberant prices they charge for key programming, to customers who bought Hawkeye. Nanocom though, WILL program ALL keys, NEW, or USED, with ease. I know, because I also own a Nanocom. I would be happy to answer any questions anyone may have about key programming. Until one learns the true facts, and eliminates the myths that surround this subject, it can be a very confusing subject, and available information is often misleading as well, to say the least.

The following 9 users liked this post by earlyrover:
HBW1020 (04-01-2017), JUKE179r (04-01-2017), LRD2rangel (03-31-2017), mogarchy (07-14-2017), No Doubt (09-26-2017), OffroadFrance (09-26-2017), Red5 (09-26-2017), Shiftonthefly1 (04-03-2017), Sixpack577 (09-26-2017) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-01-2017, 11:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Thanks for the info earlyrover!

Old 07-14-2017, 08:29 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What "new" keys are the best to buy outside of the stealerships?

My wife only has 1 key for her LR2, and we can't lock the freaking thing because the alarm just randomly goes off. troubleshooting has led me to believe I need to replace the key. While I am at it why not get some spares?

thank you for any input.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by earlyrover
... Nanocom though, WILL program ALL keys, NEW, or USED, with ease. I know, because I also own a Nanocom. I would be happy to answer any questions anyone may have about key programming. Until one learns the true facts, and eliminates the myths that surround this subject, it can be a very confusing subject, and available information is often misleading as well, to say the least.
Thanks! I didn't know that fact.

Also, the FCC code for Disco 2 key fobs seems to be N5Fvaltx3 which is identical to the key fobs for Mini Coopers (Hmmm...).

Mini Cooper key fobs with the chip in them seem to run around $30 on eBay, whereas Disco 2 key fobs with the chip in them (not just a new plastic shell/case) seem to start at $50+.

I wonder if the Disco 2 key fob is used by Makes other than Mini?

Old 09-26-2017, 02:39 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Toybreaker
What "new" keys are the best to buy outside of the stealerships?

My wife only has 1 key for her LR2, and we can't lock the freaking thing because the alarm just randomly goes off. troubleshooting has led me to believe I need to replace the key. While I am at it why not get some spares?

thank you for any input.
If the key still works, a lot of hardware stores can copy them. As for the alarm going off randomly, I think that would be solved by a new key, but I don't know.

Seems like something that would be a hardware issue more than a software thing that would be transferable through copying the signal.

But I do think that some hardware stores do Fobs and remotes. It might be worth it to get one online and then take it in and use one of the machines to make a copy.

Never done it myself, but I have heard people say it works. Might be worth checking out.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:40 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 282 Likes on 215 Posts

Yes, I can also confirm the Nanocom will program keys. I bought a used fob from Paul Grant. The fob needs to come with the 6 digit code (usually a sticker affixed to the circuit board inside the fob housing). Then used the Nanocom to program the fob using this video:

The following users liked this post:
No Doubt (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 06:15 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Omitec make/supply the software for both LR Test Book and Bearmach Hawkeye and also the Britpart Lynx. The Lynx can program key fobs but they restrict the usage but the Nanocom being independent can program key fobs etc. There does seem to be some LR influence over Omitec with regards to their breadth of service on Landrovers.

Would I ever trust Landrover, not bloody likely, they rip off owners and monopolise their parts sales to ridiculously high prices. We are talking Landrovers, agricultural trucks, not Rolls Royce or BMW or Maybach, these LR's are everyday trucks and should be costed appropriately including parts.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 09-26-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:02 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by acg
Yes, I can also confirm the Nanocom will program keys. I bought a used fob from Paul Grant. The fob needs to come with the 6 digit code (usually a sticker affixed to the circuit board inside the fob housing). Then used the Nanocom to program the fob using this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnrLrzMnANA
Whoa. If I buy a nanocom (about $415) i can then buy used keys (about $50) and program them to my disco?

And I'll have the nanocom as a diagnostic computer?

I was ready to pay the dealership to program keys for me

Old 09-26-2017, 11:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Nanocom for gasoline V8 Disco 2s seems to be just $365 on their website: https://www.nanocom-diagnostics.com/shop/browse

I do wonder if the Foxwell NT510 will also program Disco 2 keys because it is just $175 on eBay new.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:23 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by No Doubt
Nanocom for gasoline V8 Disco 2s seems to be just $365 on their website: https://www.nanocom-diagnostics.com/shop/browse

I do wonder if the Foxwell NT510 will also program Disco 2 keys because it is just $175 on eBay new.
Right. $365 plus shipping.

Quick Reply: The FINAL WORK, the TRUTH, about Rover key fob programming