Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally did it, Got my Disco!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 12:48 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally did it, Got my Disco!

Finally found and purchased my Disco, a 2003, 1 owner lease return with 51k miles. Got it from a auto wholesaler for $12,900. I believe I found a good deal even though the wholesaler sold it "as is" andthe previouse owner wore the brake rotors down and they need replacing. which leads to myquestion. Where would I find a quality parts supplier for stuff such as brake rotors and pads, etc.
Thanks-
Walt

Old 01-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Finally did it, Got my Disco!

Congrats! You're going to have a great time learning more about your new rig! Guys here can give you plenty of maintenance and upgrade tips.

As for brakes, I bought my rotors from NAPA and brake pads from RoverParts.com. The Napa rotors were really reasonable and the pads that from RoverParts were nice and quiet unlike the squealing pigs that the previous owner had on.Guys here indicated to go to Roverparts, otherwise, most part-store pads tend to squeal. I followed that advice and glad I did. Plus you get all the hold-down hardware that may not come with the parts-store pads. The new ones I got were Federal Mogul pads, middle of the road price. They weren't really any more than Napa's pads and, like I say, they are nice and quiet. You will also need to buy a LARGE (special) socket to get the lock nut off.

FYI: I forgot to buy the socket, so what I did was get a 4" long piece of exhaust pipe, I think 2" diam, and heated one end cherry hot with a oxy/acetyln torch and hammered it gently over the nut (outer nut is easy to remove with pliers). That formed a nice socket. Then I welded on a 1/4" thickplate on other endand put a square 1/2" hole for my breaker bar. But if I were going to do it again, I'd just drill a 1/2" hole on the other end of the 4" long pipe and slide a bar through it (like a "T" handle). A 3/8" socket long extension bar would work nicely. The nuts that hold on the rotors don't fit as tight as I thought. A T-handle would definitely make fabbing up the socket a lot easier and you'd get better tightening control. You could make the whole thing in about 15 minutes.

Take care when you pull off the rotors that the inner bearings don't slide out and fall on the ground!

Enjoy your new rig. Let us know what you like/don't like about it.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Finally did it, Got my Disco!

Atlanticbritish.com have complete kits, including rotors, pads and all that is needed.