Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FINALLY!! Found that pesky oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 04:11 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool FINALLY!! Found that pesky oil leak

So been trying trying trying to track out an oil leak in my 2003 disco that has been ticking me off. So I replaced the valve covers...suspicion numero uno. No good. Still smoking every time I stopped at a stop light. So today I took off the mud deflector (assuming thats what its called. Has a huge hole in it to access the oil filter) and sprayed everything down with brake cleaner to get all the nasty oil off. After I got everything clean I started the engine and just watched..... finally I saw the magical drip. On the bottom of the timing chain cover is a 22mm plug. Yes its huge sorta. Well it mustve been vibrating loose and was seriously about to fall out. So tightened it and badda bing! No more drippy drip. So glad I finally got frustrated enough to just start tearing everything apart. Dont want to think about what wouldve become had that plug finally vibrated all the way out. If your having the same problem youll have to drop the drag link and steering stabilizer so you can get that plastic mud deflector thing off. then its easy money. Just wanted to share cause its frustrating smoking everywhere you go.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Drifting

I just took mine off. A couple of the senior posters here said in another thread to just leave it off. I just power washed (scrubbed) the engine and have been watching all my little leaks. I had some oil in that plug too. I better check it. I though it looked like it was coming from up a little higher(timing chain cover/ oil pump housing)

Scott

Old 11-18-2010, 08:58 PM
Mudding

Holy Crap, this might be me too, but bigger fish to fry right now. I will definitely be checking this...

Old 11-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by halfassedastronaught
So been trying trying trying to track out an oil leak in my 2003 disco that has been ticking me off. So I replaced the valve covers...suspicion numero uno. No good. Still smoking every time I stopped at a stop light. So today I took off the mud deflector (assuming thats what its called. Has a huge hole in it to access the oil filter) and sprayed everything down with brake cleaner to get all the nasty oil off. After I got everything clean I started the engine and just watched..... finally I saw the magical drip. On the bottom of the timing chain cover is a 22mm plug. Yes its huge sorta. Well it mustve been vibrating loose and was seriously about to fall out. So tightened it and badda bing! No more drippy drip. So glad I finally got frustrated enough to just start tearing everything apart. Dont want to think about what wouldve become had that plug finally vibrated all the way out. If your having the same problem youll have to drop the drag link and steering stabilizer so you can get that plastic mud deflector thing off. then its easy money. Just wanted to share cause its frustrating smoking everywhere you go.
Just an FYI, you don't have to drop the drag link and steering stabilizer. Simply take the 5 screws out, jack the truck ON THE FRAME on the passenger side until the wheel comes off the ground, and the mud deflector will almost fall out. BTW, you should consider not putting it back in as it will help cool the engine.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Those plugs were sender and receiver ports for oil cooler lines on 2000 - 2002 4.0 motors. Mine was a little loose too, but not leaking. Here is what I did with mine after much research and tinkering on how to best install a oil pressure gauge. Half way down the page.

-Oil Pressure Gauge DII