Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got around to driving one.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally got around to driving one.

All this posting about Discoveries on here and I've never driven one. Took the time to drive a 2004 at the local Carmax.

Really liked the way it drove. I was impressed with its on road manners considering how capable it is off road. I was a little disappointed with interior space. Pictures have been deceiving. The rear facing infant seat is going to be a tight fit.

I also think something was wrong with this one's driver's seat. I couldn't seem to get it low enough. I'm 5' 8" in shoes and the lower edge of the side window was still at my elbow. With the wheel tilted to its highest position it still felt like it was in my lap. I'm hoping it was just a fluke. If not I may have to re-think living with a Disco.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Finally got around to driving one.

I have a D1 and I am 6'5". I can't see traffic lights if I pull all the way up. On the other hand, I can see everything in front of me. I like sitting that high, just wish I had sunroofs to see the stop lights...

Old 09-23-2007, 11:34 PM
Rock Crawling

I'm about your height and that's how I ride. Maximum visability! My other veh is a Mini Cooper S. Major transitions between the two. You'll learn to love it if you get one!

-ugly

Old 09-23-2007, 11:38 PM
Three Wheeling

I am 6'9" and yes I can not see the traffic lights but I feel comfortable in the vehicle....

Old 09-24-2007, 06:47 AM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: bigugly82
I'm about your height and that's how I ride. Maximum visability! My other veh is a Mini Cooper S. Major transitions between the two. You'll learn to love it if you get one!
I've spent alot of time in sports cars so maybe I am just not used to it.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:08 AM
dow
Three Wheeling

5'10" and I can't see the lights either... the steering wheel is kind of close but there is plenty of room for me and I like a low wheel anyway, I do love my disco; drive one for a few days and you will too, maybe even pick up a wrench or twelve...

finally got a chance to use the locker too, pulled a box truck (F 350 extended frame) full of grip equipment (light stands, lights, generators, gels {colored films}, flags and silks {black light covers and white light softeners}, and a few hundred pounds of industrial cable) out of a deep mud ditch after jumping said truck.

for the HP provided, the truck had amazing pull and grip (standard rims and tyres). I've only used it as a hauling truck, but it does VERY well for pulling other inadequate vehicles out of precarious situations

as for height though, I don't see many problems if you are a similar height to me, however I have never driven a D2...

Old 09-24-2007, 07:36 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am 6' 4" and like everyone else said I can't see the lights either. I heard that the reason the windows don't have good upper view is because in Britain the lights are all on posts on the side of the road, so there is no need to look up. Thats what i read on a review website when I was searching for my truck. So at least there is a good reason for it! You can just say, thats how the brits roll.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:48 AM
Three Wheeling

maybe even pick up a wrench or twelve...
Uh, I've done most of my own wrench turning for some 22 years.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:08 AM
Mudding

My seat felt too high when I first got my DII. The wheel felt too low, my right leg felt like it had to reach around the wheel to the pedals and actually, it just felt wierd. I told my wife I felt like I was sitting on a bar stool in a toll booth. At 6'1" I initially just pushed the seat back as far as I could and thought I'd get used to it. I have. Now the seat is even closer to the wheel. All in all, it's pretty comfy.

My buddy has an FJ Cruiser and the dinky armoured car windows make me crazy now that I've had my greenhouse on wheels.

As for turning your own wrenches....have fun. Rovers will give you ample opportunity to test your mechanical abilities...and your pocket resources.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:14 AM
Three Wheeling

As for turning your own wrenches....have fun. Rovers will give you ample opportunity to test your mechanical abilities...and your pocket resources.
Makes me feel dumb for wanting to add one to a collection that already contains an Audi and Alfa Romeo.

Quick Reply: Finally got around to driving one.