Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Disco

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 07:51 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't want to get my hopes up but, I just finished changing out the front O2 sensor and after reseting the codes and started her up and what a difference it has made. I drove around the block (Didn't want to push my luck until the CPS gets replaced) and I could feel quite a difference in the response. No misfire yet and idle is much smoother.

The old O2 was pretty ugly looking ill post a pic below...

Now just because its running well now doesn't mean problems solved right? If the old O2 was burnt up something had to cause the misfire to do it, if the root cause was the O2 essentially it killed itself?

I don't think I'm going to risk the drive to work with her tomorrow with the CPS issue, I just ordered it tonight and should be here by Thursday. Im really hoping you guys were right with the O2, I might actually be able to get a good nights sleep...

Old 06-27-2017, 08:23 PM
Mudding

Pretty rough looking, sprayed the female end with some electronic cleaner.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:36 PM
Mudding

Looks like I'll be hitting that tequilla... went around the block a second time and here came the misfires. I'll check the codes tomorrow and report back. ��

Old 06-28-2017, 12:59 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

I usually go with the makers marks and a good cigar with some zeppelin loud enough my wife can't hear me cursing at the damn thing at times!!!!

The following users liked this post:
DKPhoto (06-28-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 10:49 AM
Mudding
Old 06-29-2017, 10:59 AM
Mudding

So after the O2 sensor install I let it idle for ten minutes. Still have the flashing check engine soon light and these are the codes that followed.
I also had the M&S lights flash and the engine reved up so I shut it off after it did that.
The Crank position sensor will be here this afternoon and I'll put that in. Could the CPS failure cause the engine to misfire like this?

How about the Evap codes P0447 P0453 one is for the CVS sensor open which I checked the wires so I'm assuming the unit needs to be replaced and the other for the fuel pump pressure signal. Could these be related any way to the misfires?
From what I've read in the Rave manual they're just for testing the emissions.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:41 PM
Mudding

Making progress.

Changed the Crank Position sensor and that seems to really help with the misfires. She's driving much smoother and after a can of sea foam and injector cleaner she's really idling nicely.

Now its time to wait and see if this was the golden ticket. Curious to see how the start up is tomorrow morning, I tend to get most of the misfires at cold starts.

Still a lot to do to get the Rover in good condition so ill probably start a new thread on all the progress if I can finally check the misfires off the list.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Old 06-30-2017, 08:39 PM
Mudding

So I'm still getting the blinking SES light at cold starts and sometimes just when its idling.
This is driving me insane... Im getting the same misfire codes as before just without the O2 sensor code now. The only other codes are EVAP codes and from what Ive researched they shouldn't be related to misfire problems.

I guess other than the ECU maybe theres a bad valve/s?

Old 07-01-2017, 07:45 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by DKPhoto
So I'm still getting the blinking SES light at cold starts and sometimes just when its idling.
This is driving me insane... Im getting the same misfire codes as before just without the O2 sensor code now. The only other codes are EVAP codes and from what Ive researched they shouldn't be related to misfire problems.

I guess other than the ECU maybe theres a bad valve/s?
have you tried the coil packs? That would explain the misfires on one side of the engine.

1590 is rough road, and an abs code so unrelated.

Sorry if if this stuff has been mentioned, coming in late to this one.

Last edited by CollieRover; 07-01-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:47 AM
Mudding

No worries I appreciate the input. The coil packs have been replaced along with wires and plugs. O2 sensor on that bank have also been replaced.

Today I picked up a CVS unit from the junkyard in hopes it will fix the P0447 code for the Open circuit, I check the wires to it and all seemed fine. Being new to rovers I have no idea if the CVS could cause problems but I figured I would fix it anyway.

Quick Reply: First Disco