Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Disco Purchase Ahead

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes, all aftermarket warranties, I dont care who is selling it.
I have a friend who used to sell used cars, he LOVED to sell aftermarket warranties, he got 10% on each one he sold.
Aftermarket warranties are easy money, even for a tv, computer, a toaster, all are a scam.

As for the SLS, dont worry about it, it fails around 100k and when it does you can just swap it our for springs for around $250.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:19 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I think I will make an offer on the 87k mile '04 Disco, are there any preventative maintenance steps I should take as soon as the vehicle is purchased? I remember reading lots about greasable ball joints of some sort--apparently to prevent the destruction of another part as well. If there are not hard documents suggesting the 60k maintenance was performed, should I think about redoing it just to be sure?

Old 10-21-2009, 02:11 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by phil29
Since I think I will make an offer on the 87k mile '04 Disco, are there any preventative maintenance steps I should take as soon as the vehicle is purchased? I remember reading lots about greasable ball joints of some sort--apparently to prevent the destruction of another part as well. If there are not hard documents suggesting the 60k maintenance was performed, should I think about redoing it just to be sure?
greaseable u joints in the front drive shaft,,, otherwise it could come unglued and take out your tranny.

your about due for another 30k service anyways so you are best to do a total 60k service to be sure.

set aside a grand for the driveshaft rebuild and all the items needed to do a 60k service

Old 10-21-2009, 02:27 AM
Three Wheeling

What would you estimate the cost if a local rover dealership did the maintenance? I'm assuming the $1000 is for the DIY version? I'm not totally adverse to doing it myself, I just don't have a lot of time lately and besides my motorcycle, it will be the only other form of transportation (read: the wife needs something to drive). If its quick and easy, then I might consider it, but otherwise expediency trumps frugal"ness" in this situtation.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:31 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Aftermarket warranties are easy money, even for a tv, computer, a toaster, all are a scam.
They are useful for working out how reliable your purchase is going to be. Look at how much the warranty is as a percentage - plasma TVs were the worst about 20%. You know you are going to have trouble when the same value LCD TV is only 5%.

I learnt that AFTER buying a Plasma
________
NAUGHTYHARD

Last edited by cranky; 09-11-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:42 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by phil29
What would you estimate the cost if a local rover dealership did the maintenance? I'm assuming the $1000 is for the DIY version? I'm not totally adverse to doing it myself, I just don't have a lot of time lately and besides my motorcycle, it will be the only other form of transportation (read: the wife needs something to drive). If its quick and easy, then I might consider it, but otherwise expediency trumps frugal"ness" in this situtation.
1000 is for a DIY.

if you are ok with a wrench you can do the total service in a weekend.

i would have a driveline shop do your shaft and you can manage the rest in a weekend if you are on the ball

Old 10-21-2009, 06:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yea do it yourself, the 60000 service isn't anything major that will put your truck out of commission you can do it little at a time if you have to, just various fluid changes and belts and hoses and such.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Drifting

I just had my 60,000 done at the dealership for $900.00. I also had all the gaskets replaced under warranty at 61,000. They charged me about $300.00 for the wires eventhough they were tearing the engine down, but considering the alternative I still couldn't do it myself for that if I pulled the intake with new gaskets and wires.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pipedream
If the model is an HSE it more than likely has air bag suspension for the ACE. The SE model more than likely does not have it. The HSE also usually included entertainment packages. The S model is very similiar to the SE but some different trim including the Duragrain rather than leather.
Just to clear up the "confusion" you seem to have , The AIR suspension and ACE are totally different systems and are NOT related to each other at all.

ANY vehicle can have both systems, either system without the other, or even neither of them (god that would be crap!!)

Old 10-22-2009, 02:19 AM
Three Wheeling

You guys are great, I really appreciate all the input. One last question about buying the truck.

What if I found an '04 with 38k miles for about $11k in pretty good condition, does that change the game up, or should I stick with the $8-9k 04' with 87k miles? I would have to spend about a grad to ship it to me. I'm starting to get excited. I imagine we'll own one in less than 2 weeks!

Quick Reply: First Disco Purchase Ahead