Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First ever Land Rover

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 08:49 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First ever Land Rover

Hi everyone,

I just bought my first ever Land Rover and will be picking it up tomorrow. I'm super jacked to get it. (Still waiting to get my dream car, a Range Rover - so I went with the next best thing.) I stumbled along this forum and thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to sign up. I'm pretty new to the Land Rover vehicles so please take it easy on me - I'm def. a noob. I also have a caddy cts, but wanted to get an suv for our often weekend trips up north. I was wondering if you guys had any tips or anything that I should watch out for or what I should keep an eye on. Here are the details below and please let me know if you think I paid the right price for it and whatnot. Also, does BMW still own Land Rover?

Land Rover Discovery II HSE7
72,000 miles
Leather interior, fully loaded (power, heated seats)
Heat/AC rear ceiling
Grill guard
Running boards
Backup censors
2 moon roofs
3rd row seating - 2 seats fold up or down
Tow Package
In very good shape - just has a few minor scratches on the outside.
They were asking $12,999 and I paid 11,700.

Any thoughts/advice are definitely welcome. I've read these babys are known to last for 200,000 if taken care of. I know the repairs and gas are going to be pretty expensive, but worth it. I really hope this thing doesn't need any major repairs for while.

I have some pics posted below as well.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading it. I look forward to reading everyone's responses!

Kyle

Last edited by PackAttack12; 04-22-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Nope, LR is part of TaTa Motors from India.

You'll be wanting the full download of factory shop and owner manuals, called the RAVE, link below.

In our tech section are a number of items, including a 60K miles things to do list, and a very important write up on rebuilding or replacing the stock front drive shaft. Without grease fittings, it will split and spear a giant hole in the transmission. $7000 at the dealer, under $100 DIY upfit.

Repairs are high at the dealer. But many owners take on quite a bit of the repairs themselves, with a little help from the forum. Or find a good indy mechanic.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Read all the tech write ups and what nots.
Where do you live?

Old 04-22-2012, 09:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default congrats..

Congrats.. Listen to the senior members as they have been threw the ringer already....Go open yourself a separate bank account and put in $200.00 every month.. By years end that should take care of every day Repairs. Be prepared for catastrophic failures and you will be fine... Its part of the LR experience.

Welcome to the short bus crew.... Chris

Old 04-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Spike555
Read all the tech write ups and what nots.
Where do you live?
Thanks for all the tips guys, def appreciate it. I live in Green Bay, WI. We head up to Door County and the Crivitz area quite a bit

Old 04-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Overlanding

Hey man do you know where I could find the write up for replacing the stock front drive shaft? I would much appreciate it.

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Nope, LR is part of TaTa Motors from India.

You'll be wanting the full download of factory shop and owner manuals, called the RAVE, link below.

In our tech section are a number of items, including a 60K miles things to do list, and a very important write up on rebuilding or replacing the stock front drive shaft. Without grease fittings, it will split and spear a giant hole in the transmission. $7000 at the dealer, under $100 DIY upfit.

Repairs are high at the dealer. But many owners take on quite a bit of the repairs themselves, with a little help from the forum. Or find a good indy mechanic.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks good. I personally wouldn't pay that much, but it is about market value (assuming you don't have any problems). If you don't know how to do diagnostics yourself, get someone to check the truck out for you. I suggest doing a compression test on all cylinders, hooking up a temp gauge to see the actual temp of the coolant, and have all of the fluids changed.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:04 PM
Drifting

Nice color combo, sharp truck

Old 04-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts
Old 04-23-2012, 04:26 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vandev
Go open yourself a separate bank account and put in $200.00 every month...
Welcome to the short bus crew.... Chris
No finer advice has ever been given on this board. So true, so true.

Quick Reply: First ever Land Rover