Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Time Changing Oil On Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010 | 02:48 PM
|
Pro Wrench
Default First Time Changing Oil On Discovery

Well it was easier than changing the transmission filter.

Supplies Needed.
1 1-1/8" Wrench
OR
1 1-1/8" SOCKET,
1/2 to 3/8" drive reducer
1 mile in 3/8" extensions
OR
1 1-1/8" SOCKET
3/8" U-joint
1/2 mile in 3/8 extensions

Kitty Litter

6 qts. of Mobile One 10w-30
1 M1-204 OR M1-301 Oil Filter [because its on sale at autozone]

Ramps

Steps.

1. Pre kitty litter entire floor undertruck and ramp and drivers tire and catalytic converter
OR
Get a custom Oil Pan
OR
Find some grass remove bolt catch as much oil as possible and then push the truck somwhere else. [NOT EPA RECOMMENDED]

2 Determine P.P.O.O. [Predicted Path Of Oil] Ill let you know its wrong right here. put it as far to the wheel as possible and if possible construct a backboard for the oil to bounce off of.

3 Remove the worlds LARGEST oil drain bolt while wondering why they made it so BIG.

4 Look for previous oil change stickers so you can hunt down the mother F#$% who put it on so tight because it aint coming off.

5 Realize why they made the hole so big. So it can shoot more and farther than your P.P.O.O.

6. Replace Drain Bolt.

7. Get into beast mode getting ready to remove the oil filter. Only to look like an idiot because it was loose.

8 Fill Oil filter with adequate amount of oil.

9 Replace Oil Filter

10 Check and make sure no gnomes removed your drain plug

11 Fill with rest of oil

12 Check to make sure the gnomes didn't remove the drain plug [Maybe Im paranoid?]

Tips: USE SYNTHETIC SO YOU DONT HAVE TO DO IT AGIAN ANYTIME SOON.
Build Back Board
Yes you NEED kitty litter
Dont tighten the **** out of the drain bolt.
Dont think you can wear a "decent" shirt, thinking only your hands will get dirty. YOU WILL get it dirty.

Old 05-27-2010 | 03:29 PM

this is the oil pan i use and it works great. never had any kitty litter anywhere.
* NOTE this is not my truck, this is some idiot who made a great big mess. i don't use newspaper either.

i will say the oil filter can be tricky to get it to drain without hitting the crossmember and splattering. i removed my plastic shielf permanently to get easy access to everything.

Old 05-27-2010 | 04:15 PM
Mudding

Wow, i never had any issues when changing the oil on my disco. As far as the drain plug size goes it is just the normal 14 or 15mm, i cannot remember which one. That seems to be about the same size as the others that i have seen. Am i missing something here?

Old 05-27-2010 | 04:21 PM
|
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by greenwade
Wow, i never had any issues when changing the oil on my disco. As far as the drain plug size goes it is just the normal 14 or 15mm, i cannot remember which one. That seems to be about the same size as the others that i have seen. Am i missing something here?
Yes you have a discovery II

Old 05-27-2010 | 04:58 PM
Mudding

Ahh my bad, i am a little slow. Sorry about that.

Old 05-27-2010 | 07:12 PM
Mudding

Thanks......I needed a good laugh............RS

Old 05-27-2010 | 07:14 PM
Team Owner

Spencer-now here are some tips from your Uncle Spike on changing the oil and a DI.
Run BOTH passenger side wheels onto the ramps, this will point the drain plug down and then place your oil drain pan with one edge just under the drain plug and the oil will hit the drain pan well within its diameter.
Once the oil flow starts to slow move the pan over alittle so it stays under the stream.
I use this type of pan, I have had this one for 17 years.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...randName=Blitz

Save empty washer solvent bottle to pour your used oil in.
Also with both passenger side wheels on the ramps it makes it easier to lube your driveshafts.

Old 05-27-2010 | 07:31 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Spike555
Spencer-now here are some tips from your Uncle Spike on changing the oil and a DI.
Run BOTH passenger side wheels onto the ramps, this will point the drain plug down and then place your oil drain pan with one edge just under the drain plug and the oil will hit the drain pan well within its diameter.
Once the oil flow starts to slow move the pan over alittle so it stays under the stream.
I use this type of pan, I have had this one for 17 years.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...randName=Blitz

Save empty washer solvent bottle to pour your used oil in.
Also with both passenger side wheels on the ramps it makes it easier to lube your driveshafts.

Ditto

luck,greg

Old 10-19-2013 | 07:11 PM
Drifting

I changed out my oil today in my 97 Disco.
I ran Rotella 15-40w and installed a Mobil 1-301 oil filter.
I used Permatex RTV for my gasket on my oil drain plug.
I used a 1 1/8 box wrench on the oil pan drain plug. I presoaked it with Liquid Wrench for about a minute. 2 good pulls and the plug was loose. I was able to remove and direct the oil into my drain pan with a spout that I purchased from Auto Zone so that I could pour the old oil into the empty Rotella gallon jug. I only had 4 quarts left in engine.
I accomplished this all by pulling into my local Auto Zone parking lot and running the tires up on the parking space blockers at the end of the lot. So I could employ Spikes tip of running it up on ramps but the ghetto version.
I was able to change oil on less than 30 min and that was only the case because I had purchased the wrong size oil filter wrench. I live in a city where they fine you 500 bucks for changing your oil in public or on the street unless it's in your own private driveway. A customer was kind enough to remind me of this and I waved and thanked them but the AZ staff didn't seem to care. I am very pleased with the ease of which I was able to switch oil. I will be running the Rotella for 1500-2000 miles and then I will be swapping it out for Rotella T6. AZ only had it in 5-40w so I opted for the not synthetic version. I will be tackling the diffs, transfer case and transmission fluid soon. Thanks to DiscoMike and this forum for spelling it out so clearly. Big Fan.

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch
Well it was easier than changing the transmission filter.

Supplies Needed.
1 1-1/8" Wrench
OR
1 1-1/8" SOCKET,
1 mile in 3/8" extensions
OR
1 1-1/8" SOCKET
3/8" U-joint
1/2 mile in 3/8 extensions

Kitty Litter

6 qts. of Mobile One 10w-30
1 M1-204 OR M1-301 Oil Filter [because its on sale at autozone]

Ramps

Steps.

1. Pre kitty litter entire floor undertruck and ramp and drivers tire and catalytic converter
OR
Get a custom Oil Pan
OR
Find some grass remove bolt catch as much oil as possible and then push the truck somwhere else. [NOT EPA RECOMMENDED]

2 Determine P.P.O.O. [Predicted Path Of Oil] Ill let you know its wrong right here. put it as far to the wheel as possible and if possible construct a backboard for the oil to bounce off of.

3 Remove the worlds LARGEST oil drain bolt while wondering why they made it so BIG.

4 Look for previous oil change stickers so you can hunt down the mother F#$% who put it on so tight because it aint coming off.

5 Realize why they made the hole so big. So it can shoot more and farther than your P.P.O.O.

6. Replace Drain Bolt.

7. Get into beast mode getting ready to remove the oil filter. Only to look like an idiot because it was loose.

8 Fill Oil filter with adequate amount of oil.

9 Replace Oil Filter

10 Check and make sure no gnomes removed your drain plug

11 Fill with rest of oil

12 Check to make sure the gnomes didn't remove the drain plug [Maybe Im paranoid?]

Tips: USE SYNTHETIC SO YOU DONT HAVE TO DO IT AGIAN ANYTIME SOON.
Build Back Board
Yes you NEED kitty litter
Dont tighten the **** out of the drain bolt.
Dont think you can wear a "decent" shirt, thinking only your hands will get dirty. YOU WILL get it dirty.