Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time Discovery II buyer

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 08:39 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time Discovery II buyer

Gents (and ladies)

I'm looking at a 2004 Discovery II with 90,000 miles on it. It has the 4.6 L engine. I've combed through several of the forums and searched and I have a few questions

First, what's a decent scanner available at Autozone/O'Reilly/Walmart that I could pick up?

Where in the hell do I hook the thing up and am able to read the engine temps (that's what scares me the most)?

Does anyone have a good FYI for a shakedown cruise, guy is getting me a Carfax and all that jazz. Was thinking about taking it to a LR dealer for an inspection, is that worth the money?

Old 08-02-2016, 09:51 PM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Scanner fits in OBDII port by your right knee (bottom of dash)
Be prepared to become a mechanic

The following users liked this post:
dgi 07 (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 08:11 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Once you buy it you will spend more time here getting questions answered than you can currently think of. These vehicles should not be owned by those that are easily frustrated. They sure are a good looking vehicle but don't expect it to be your daily driver. I compare them to the old Harley Davidson motorcycles. You will work on it for two days to drive it for two hours. Just letting you know to go into this purchase with eyes wide open. Make the purchase based on your head not your heart. D*

Old 08-03-2016, 08:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 117 Likes on 82 Posts
Default scanner

For a code reader, I like the ELM 327, blue tooth, does lots of stuff. You can get one for $20 on amazon.

I would make sure it gets hot, drive it a bunch, crawl underneath it. I personally feel that there is not much that a Dealer would find that I could not. The real expensive repairs are unexpected and no-one is likely to find them preemptively.

Read the sticky at the top.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:22 AM
Mudding
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

ScanGauge II is a scanner and monitor that is sold at Auto Zone. Not expensive and let's you monitor your temps along with other parameters. I use it and it works very well.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by d.a.r.y.l
..... but don't expect it to be your daily driver.....
Gotta disagree there. Mine is a pure daily vehicle. Alot of other guys I know run them daily as well. Work, supermarket runs, kid's swimming lessons, etc. As long as you stay on top of your maint, you'll be fine.

Originally Posted by d.a.r.y.l
Make the purchase based on your head not your heart. D*
Also gotta disagree there. A purchase using your head would indicate skip Land Rover altogether and go buy a Toyota. Better fuel economy, cheaper parts, etc.

A purchase of the heart saysbuy one of these underpowered, gas guzzling, go anywhere monsters because you really are attached to to the idea of owning one..

Old 08-03-2016, 10:08 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

+1 on the daily driver and I've got twice the miles on her.

For an inspection find a reputable independent LR only mechanic. They exist. Not the dealer, not some foreign/European car shop.

Get the gauge first and then take it with you on the test drive and monitor the temp and any codes or alarms that may pop up. If you are buying from a used car lot especially, they've been known to disable the dash warning lights. Only with a code reader will you know the truth.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,661 Posts

I had 2 LR D1/D2's as D/D's before I got a company vehicle. Zero issues!! Just keep up to date on your maintenance. I get way more time behind the wheel out of any of my LR's vs under it compared to all the Jeep Wranglers I ever owned!! Couldn't take a single drive in an 05 Wrangler without wondering is today the day my brake calipers fail and lock up for 5th time, will it go into limp home mode since I'm travelling more than 50 miles??? Thats what owning a TJ/LJ was like... In my LR's I just check my fluids (do it to all my vehicles), load up the kids and go on a trip.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts

Quality mechanics tools set. Get one.

Old 08-03-2016, 03:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by dgi 07
Gotta disagree there. Mine is a pure daily vehicle. Alot of other guys I know run them daily as well. Work, supermarket runs, kid's swimming lessons, etc. As long as you stay on top of your maint, you'll be fine.

Also gotta disagree there. A purchase using your head would indicate skip Land Rover altogether and go buy a Toyota. Better fuel economy, cheaper parts, etc.

A purchase of the heart saysbuy one of these underpowered, gas guzzling, go anywhere monsters because you really are attached to to the idea of owning one..
Mine is a daily driver too. And I also have 2 Toyotas. But I just like driving the LR more.

Quick Reply: First time Discovery II buyer