Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time "Off Road"

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 11:49 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time "Off Road"

Well guys, I've had a bit of a chilly reception so far RE:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/ne...-04-se7-63006/
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...acement-63106/

But I will not give up! I just wanted to share my experience today. My in-laws came over for dinner and wanted to see my new LR. I took them on a test drive and didn't want to make the whole trip around the block. I live in the middle of a bunch of corn fields and the block is HUGE. Anyway, I got to an open area and went over the embankment into the snowy ditch (shallow). I locked the diffs and did a big U-Turn through the mud/snow. There wasn't even a moment of hesitation for the Disco! I already liked my new ride, but now I see why LR owners are fanatics about their vehicles in the same vein as Corvette owners or Jeep owners. I will be attempting to change the PS pump tomorrow by following the video. Have a good night!

Old 11-13-2013, 05:20 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Good to see another LR convert - enjoy. LR's are a 'love hate' vehicle relationship but still addictive and wherever you go in the world you'll find an LR owners club of some type.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:45 AM
Overlanding

Thank you. So far, I'm still in the love part. We'll see what happens after I get that power steering pump out!

Old 11-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I've owned a large number of 4x4's over the years, and I have to say, the Disco is in my top 2 for sure! It does awesome in the snow! Only place I've had any issues so far is in sand. The Traction Control is too slow to react, which allows it to dig in too much, but I've got the '03, so no locking Diffs (YET). After that mod, I'm sure it will be a different beast.

Welcome, and glad you stuck it out. If you take all the hits given in a forum like this while you are shopping, and still plow forward, then you know what you are up against. You will enjoy the ride much more knowing what might be coming (HG's, Steering, Cooling, etc...), and if it never hits you, like me, then you will be super happy! Not to say I won't have issues later, but so far, so good.

Google Search brings this up on your new ride, sounds nice, and decent price if running well:
2004 Landrover Discovery SE7 - $6200 (Middletown) - Craigslist

cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/4132469193.html
  • Oct 16, 2013 - Up for sale is a 2004 Landrover Discovery SE7 (Grey) 122,000 Miles. This SUV is awesome!!! drives superb. 90% thread on Tires, 6 Disc CD ...
EDIT: Is THIS it?

Last edited by SuperSport; 11-13-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:51 AM
Overlanding

Yep! That was the one. I ended up paying less than that because of the PS leak though. I ended up right at $5,600. I think I got a pretty good deal too.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by MillerMonteSS
Yep! That was the one. I ended up paying less than that because of the PS leak though. I ended up right at $5,600. I think I got a pretty good deal too.
I paid $7300 Out the Door (Tax, Lic, Doc, etc; In California, that's about $1000) for an '03. I know I paid a LOT, but I wanted the cleanest one I could find. There were plenty of $4000 ones around me, but, YUK! It took months of looking, and this is the one I chose. So far, so good.

Your's looks really nice! I would like some of the SE7 features that I'm missing, but on the other hand, I've got less to worry about breaking/leaking. But if it were still as clean as mine, I would have taken the chance...

Old 11-13-2013, 10:57 AM
Pro Wrench

Is the pump leaking, or just the reservoir on top? The photos look really clean/dry underneath.
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/4126578054.html

Last edited by SuperSport; 11-13-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:01 AM
Overlanding

That's it! You sir, have MAD Google skills. There are light scratches not shown in that picture on the passenger side bumper and an odd scratch around the furthermost rear driver side glass. Other than that, runs like a champ and very clean. I ran a Carfax before I bought and all previous maintenance was done by a Jaguar dealer. It's definitely the pump. I have the pump whine and you can see down at the connector where it's leaking. I think the photos were taken in a church parking lot next to the guy's house. When I pulled up, the first thing that I noticed was the leak.

Last edited by MillerMonteSS; 11-13-2013 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 11-13-2013, 11:05 AM
Pro Wrench

That's it! You sir, have MAD Google skills. There are light scratches not shown in that picture on the passenger side bumper and an odd scratch around the furthermost rear driver side glass. Other than that, runs like a champ and very clean. I ran a Carfax before I bought and all previous maintenance was done by a Jaguar dealer.
Computers are kinda my thing...

There are many people here that will think that was too much to spend. And, if the Head Gaskets go out tomorrow, you will likely be one of them, but I like to pay a little more to get a super clean vehicle, rather than pay less and do all the restoration myself. I seem to end up with nicer, longer lasting vehicles that way. It still beats paying NEW price, which is what I used to do every couple years. I've changed my buying habits, partly out of necessity.

EDIT: What's the SS in your name? I've used SuperSport ever since I was about 10 years old. They are my initials in real life, so it was my CB Handle (Yes, I was a 10yr old Geek), and it's stuck with me over the years. I use it on most forums, when not already taken, and I'm always yearning for an SS vehicle. Never had one yet, but some day! 71 Chevelle SS maybe?

Last edited by SuperSport; 11-13-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That is a sharp lookin' ride. Nice find. I just replaced the power steering pump in our '04. Well, I had a shop do it. Cost me about $800 in the end. Had them replace a hose at first because I thought that was what was leaking. After they did that, found out it was the pump. Wishing I would have just replaced it myself now, but at the time, I didn't really have the time to do it, AND, I didn't really want PS fluid all over the floor in our new house/garage.

Welcome to the forum, Miller. You'll find a lot of good info on here. I know I have. SS has just chimed in on another thread I have about losing coolant in my '99.

Quick Reply: First time "Off Road"