Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixed sunroof Leak.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 04:01 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed sunroof Leak.

I guess I could call it a leak but it's really a clogged drain. All sunroofs leak it's just the water is caught and runs out the drain. Anyway. First day I took my newly aquired Land Rover for a drive I hit the bottom of the drive and my boy yells "its raining on me" I look behind me and there is water dripping right out of the rear sunroof switch area. Ok so one more thing to fix. I put the land Rover in the garage when we get home so it doesn't get any more rain inside. Today I tore into it trying to find out what was wrong. Thought I'd post what I did incase it helps someone else.

I checked the roof and there was water still in the LH track but pretty much dry on the RH track. I had read on this forum that the sunroof drains were in the back by the bumper. I found the leftdrain and forced air up it with my compressor. However water still wouldn't run out. I tried pouring water in the right side of the sunroof and water ran out fine on the right side and apparently the LH and RH tracks don't have a path between them.

In trying to get better access to the drain tube I foundthe tubepassed right by the tail light. I removed the access panel to the tail light (like I was going to change a bulb) then pulled the drain hose out so I could get at it better (see pic). Since pressure didn't seem tofix it(even though I could hear air escape by the roof so it was a free path) I tried vaccume. I hooked up my hand vaccume pump and pulled some vac and water came right out. Still wouldn't flow on it's own though. No vac no water. Must be an obstruction still. It is next to impossible to see the drain holes in the sunroof area. They are in the front corners but behind the track mechinism. I decided it would be best to try and unclog it from the bottom side. So off comes trim panels.

I removed the Rear piller trim (one with the speaker) and the trim around the alpine window and the head liner trim around the sunroof. I was then able to flex the headliner down a bit to see what was going on. What did I find? Nice kink in the line. It appears that the hose at some time had not been routed correctly andpinched it between the headliner and a stiffener in the roof. Easy fix. I pulled the tube off so I could work on it better. but hey what's this. I remove the tube and STILL no water comes out. Ok the restrictions not a good thing but it isn't the sole problem. I poke a wire and a drill bit up the sunroof drain where the tube was. I can barely see it looking through the sunroof area. Man is it inaccessable. I manage to get some water flow but it feels like there is a ridge at the bottom of the hole. I risk ruining it all and use the drill and drill bitto ream out the hole. Oh yah. Now the water flows.

I reinstall the hose and test it by pouring water into the track of the sunroof. Flows just like the other side. Whew. No more rain inside the truck. (fingers crossed).

Now I can workon to the next problem with this rig.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9364/50FD1BE7770642E7AD35C1402C27E57E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/9364/9123914CBBD9422EA7669233A441E98E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Fixed sunroof Leak.

Nice write up and pics. Thanks. Great title for searching...