Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing "engine service soon" help

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 07:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Flashing "engine service soon" help

So I'm having one of those days, it's not even friday 13th, just thursday 13th. I have not drov my 03 disco for a week and this evening was going to get food with the misses. She cranked stright away, the disco not the misses, but was idling rough and the engine service light came on. Funny I thought, then on driving she was fine when all of a sudden the engine sounds like its running on 4cyls and the above light started flashing, thats when the misses started cranking
After 1/4 mile it stops flashing and all 8 cylinders come back on line but the light is still on.....

Any thoughts, BTW the misses is still cranking....

Old 10-13-2011, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If you have a code reader or scanner, great. If not, the bigger auto parts stores will read the codes for free. Pretty good deal, since some shops charge $89 to plug in a scanner. With that info you can work on what the issue is and not throw parts at it. Some of the sensors that could be involved are more than $300.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Do not drive it until you get the code numbers, then get back to us with them.
You told us lots of stuff that won't help us, what year is it, how many miles on it, when was it last tuned along with 8 mm silicone wires and 02 sensors?

Old 10-13-2011, 10:11 PM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

i had a similar problem a few weeks ago, turned out one of my ignition coild was bad, could or could not be your problem

Old 10-13-2011, 10:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for all the help, have to drive the disco tomorrow morning as the wife is going to mother in laws for the weekend and yes she is still cranking, might suggest she stays awhile in Atlanta for a bit.......

Old 10-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I though a solid light was something like an o2 sensor, etc, but a flashing light meant it was the catalytic converter. Any rotten egg smell from the exhaust?

Old 10-13-2011, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

flashing is severe misfire. sometimes they list it as a catalyst damaging misfire, because that cylinder isn't really burning any of its fuel.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by G Reeves
thanks for all the help, have to drive the disco tomorrow morning as the wife is going to mother in laws for the weekend and yes she is still cranking, might suggest she stays awhile in Atlanta for a bit.......
So we now know either you can't read or follow directions.
When you ask for help, then don't follow it because of you wife or mother-in-law, you or more specifically your Disco is doomed.
I hate to see people that acquire costly repairs, but I think you need one and maybe you will learn to listen.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:24 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

flashing means turn the damn thing off until it's fixed. you can have failed headgaskets that are leaking coolant into the oil causing SEVERE misfires. what is the mileage on the truck? have you had the headgaskets done yet? what year is the truck? go buy yourself an ODB2 reader. you will need it today and again soon.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Yep, weekend special car rental is cheap compared to CATs.... and it is quite a trot from Baltimore to Atlanta and back, just might end up spending a few days in a hotel, big wrecker bill, the tender mercies of the nearby dealership... yep, that'll get approval from SWMBO.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 10-14-2011 at 09:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Flashing "engine service soon" help