Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing M and S lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 11:19 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing M and S lights

Started car this morning and got flashing M and S lights and the D light on the shift console flashing. No "check engine" light. No noticeable difference in driving--about 2 miles and was able to put in reverse to park, but noticed a slight "jolt" when I put in reverse. Battery died about 2 mos. ago and AAA installed a new one. Thoughts? Had new tires installed this weekend, as well as oil change, but seems unlikely that'd have any effect. 2001 Disco II, 79k miles

Last edited by passportsf; 11-12-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Overlanding

I had that and swapped the battery. It's the first sign of undervoltage. You could charge it but it'll just die again. It usually goes away after a bit because the battery re-charges. What MAY wind up happening is the vehicle will go into "limp" mode. It takes a few things before it changes gears but voltage is the first. Pretty sweet supercomputer with wheels, huh?

Old 11-12-2012, 11:25 AM
4wd Low

Oh, I forgot to mention that had a dead battery about 2 months ago and AAA installed a new one. Could that be the culprit?

Old 11-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Overlanding

Could be. You'd want to start there first. I finally bought an Optima Red-top battery. Haven't had any problems since. AND it's got a lifetime warranty. It happened to me twice before I finally found a good answer. The other problem is easy to fix also. The selector that connects to the transmission is housed in a plastic box that can get corroded. Not hard to fix either. But that's later, if the battery doesn't do it.

The Land Rover is VERY particular about it's voltage. Good luck!

Old 11-12-2012, 11:35 AM
4wd Low

Wow...a new battery can get zapped that quickly? Very particular, indeed! Thanks for the tip. Should I just take it to Autozone or similar for free testing?

Old 11-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sure that's a good place to go and get a free test.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Overlanding

If it's not the right battery it can. Mine sat for over a month and died while I was gone. Thanks to the wife for not cranking it, anyway... You could get it tested but it'll be just UNDER volts and they might not think much of it. Does it come and go or are the lights always blinking? In either case your battery is going or is dead (in Land Rover terms). Autozone can test it for you though.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Battery, battery cables (both ends), and XYZ switch are possibles. The M&S lights on normally brings on the check engine light, except in one case -

P1562 (24)
Battery supply below 9V while engine running

Maintains current gear in low range, limp
home mode in range. Shift pressure to
maximum, harsh gear shifts/engagement.

MIL = OFF
M&S = ON

Old 11-12-2012, 11:39 AM
Overlanding

What he said... The XYZ switch is what I was referring to if the battery doesn't fix it.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:44 AM
4wd Low

Thanks. I'll hit the auto store on the way home to have voltage tested and see where we're at. What should an acceptable range of voltage be? I have a scanner, so will also give that a go when I get home.

Quick Reply: Flashing M and S lights